PDA

View Full Version : How should I photograph a Red-tailed Hawk in a nest?

Caleb Royer
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I found a Red-tailed Hawk nest about 100 yards from were I live.
It is about 50 feet up in a Pine tree and there are a few branches in the way.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get some good photos of it?:confused:

Axel Hildebrandt
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Personally, I leave nesting birds alone in order not to disturb them or lead predators to the nest. I would wait until the young birds fledge and start practice to fly and hunt which might give you great opportunities of flight images.

John Chardine
03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with Axel. Once the chicks get bigger they will provide hours of entertainment and photo opps from below (as well as the adults coming in to feed).

Caleb Royer
03-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the info!

Caleb Royer
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Personally, I leave nesting birds alone in order not to disturb them or lead predators to the nest. I would wait until the young birds fledge and start practice to fly and hunt which might give you great opportunities of flight images.

When exactly do you start to see the juveniles come out of the nest and mess around:confused:

Axel Hildebrandt
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
When exactly do you start to see the juveniles come out of the nest and mess around:confused:

You can find more information here: http://www.desertusa.com/aug96/du_hawk.html

Mating and nest building begin in early spring, usually in March and continue through May. This is accompanied by spectacular aerial displays by both males and females. Circling and soaring to great heights, they fold their wings and plummet to treetop level, repeating this display as much as five or six times.

Nests are located from 35 to 75 feet high in the forks of large trees. The nest is large, flat, shallow and made of sticks and twigs about 1/2 inch in diameter. Both males and females assist in nest construction. Nest sites may be used from year to year, since there is strong evidence that hawks mate for life. If the old nest is wind damaged, layers of new nesting material are added each year.

The female usually lays 2 dull-white to bluish-white eggs that are marked with a variety of irregular reddish spots and splotches. Incubation takes 28-32 days and is maintained almost entirely by the female. During this period the male hunts for both of them, bringing her food to the nest.

When hatched, the young are covered with white down. They grow slowly and require much food, which keeps both parents busy. They remain in the nest for up to 48 days. During the last 10 days or so the young, which now appear as large as the parent birds, practice flapping their wings and balancing in the wind on the edge of the nest, preparing for the days when they will launch themselves into the air.

The young fledge at about 45 days. Red-tails typically do not begin breeding until their third year.

Caleb Royer
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks a lot that is very helpful.