PDA

View Full Version : On The Way Home With Some Food

Arnold Dubin
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
This photograph of the Crested Caracara was taken with my Nikon D70 and a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens at the Viera Wetlands on 3/18/09.

Camera Settings;
ISO - 300
Equiv focal length - 300mm
F stop - 6.3
Speed - 1/1500 sec
The camera was hand held

I used PhotoShop CS3 to enhance the tonal range, reduce noise, and sharpen it. I would appreciate critiques on this photo. Thanks, ADubin

Fabs Forns
03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Terrific action, to get the bird in flight and with food. Well done. I'd place the bird off center horizontally and I see a strong cyan cast.
Here's a color balances version, with a sample of gray as per the average blur of your post, where you can see what gray looked like in your original.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Great flyby and BG, the prey adds to it. Adding to Fabs' comments, I would sharpen the bird more.

Daniel Cadieux
03-19-2009, 11:36 AM
All the elements were there in the original, but Fabs' repost just puts it a notch higher! The cast is now gone, look at how much more natural and warm the colours on the bird are. I agree an additional round of sharpening would be good for web presentation (but don't worry, focus looks good). I love the curved primaries, and the clouda add some interest to the BG.

Arthur Morris
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Good job by Fabs on correcting the color cast. Wing position OK but the full downstroke position would be preferred. The blacks need to be blacker; easy to do in Selective Color.

Arnold Dubin
03-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Fabs,

Thank you very much for your critique. I never noticed the cyan cast to my photo until you pointed it out to me. I always thought I would see the color cast in the white/lighter areas and not in the shadows. Thanks again ADubin:)

Terrific action, to get the bird in flight and with food. Well done. I'd place the bird off center horizontally and I see a strong cyan cast.
Here's a color balances version, with a sample of gray as per the average blur of your post, where you can see what gray looked like in your original.

Arnold Dubin
03-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Axel, Thanks for your feedback. I can see where additional sharpening would helped. ADubin

Arnold Dubin
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Daniel, Thanks for comments. This really makes me look at my post processing in a different light. ADubin

Arnold Dubin
03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Artie, Again I want to thank you very much for taking your time to provide me with your comments about my photograph. ADubin