PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine Lighthouse sunset

JB Ellis
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
This shot seems OK to me, but I believe I could have done it better. Angles to get the shot from were very limited and the pier seemed my only real option. This is 3 shots +- 1 1/3. Combined in Photomatrix. I have an early morning shot too. Real nice and crisp, but no fun lighting going on.

Michael Pancier
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
love the location. I tried shooting the light from there and got eaten by no see ums. I'll be there in May hopefully won't get eaten...

JB Ellis
03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Michael, I assume you are going to the Aligator Farm. If you don't have a place to stay, I found the Super 8 to be a good deal. Newly remodeled and on second row from the beach. Good luck with the no see ums.

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey JB,
Decided I liked the comp...as the walkway drew you to the LH....but the colors seemed off. did you try a few stacked ND filters straight up? Either way....decided to start playing.......never stopped. I may be in over-do mode today.....but decided to re-post anyway....even if I think it is cartoonish....just may give you a few ideas you want to try. Levels layers and doge tool used in seperate areas throughout. Even though the final product doesn't look real....I kind of like it...although at this point in the re-post...it belongs in OOTB....and I had fun. Let me know your thoughts.

JB Ellis
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Roman, thanks for the suggestions. I like the new look. I will definitely go back and mess with it some more. You really brought the whites out without upsetting the sunset. No, I did not use a neutral density filter, but I've been planning to get some. Can you recommend brand, type?

Robert Amoruso
03-20-2009, 06:43 AM
JB,

With the HDR you should have gotten more shadow detail. A spread of +2 stops would have been more appropriate here. I really like Roman's surreal treatment.... nothing says we can't go for this kind of look.

Composition is wll thought out with placement of the pier and the lighthouse. I have photographed this before and not found this view.

Michael Pancier
03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Michael, I assume you are going to the Aligator Farm. If you don't have a place to stay, I found the Super 8 to be a good deal. Newly remodeled and on second row from the beach. Good luck with the no see ums.

I'm staying in the historic district ... it's convenient after hours...don't have to look for parking and I can drink and not have to drive :-D