PDA

View Full Version : Clone More?

Richard Kowalski
01-27-2008, 01:12 PM
OK, for my second post, let me ask for your input on cloning out distracting background branches.

This Red Tail was a great model last week at Bosque del Apache. It stayed put while a number of cars passed by, not 20 feet away and allowed myself and at least one other photographer to approach it out of our cars to within about 30 feet.

I have cloned out one background branch that nearly "touched" the feathers on the back of it's head, but I'm wondering if I should stop here or continue to clone out a few more from the left side?

Canon 20D
Sigma 50 - 500 handheld, 500mm @ f/ 9.0
1/1250th
Av
ISO-800

Richard

George DeCamp
01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Richard!

Lucky you to have the chance to be so close, they wouldn't come close to us while we were there in December. I think I would clone out some of the branches to the left side of the bird. Probably would be pretty easy to get rid of them at least and then see how you like it.I would also be tempted to take a little off the bottom of the image.

He looks pretty fluffy, maybe was cold that day eh!

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
richard -
When "editing" branches like these, it's much easier to using masking techniques than cloning. The technique is well described on Robert O'Tooles APTATS-1 CD (well worth the $20). That said, i'd probably remove some of the branches on left side and upper half. I'd also sharpen the bird a little more (but not touch the BG or branches). Then i'd use a tighter crop. A quick version is shown below. You're only limited to your own creativity and the time it takes.

Hope this helps

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
richard -
before others comment that the above crop is too tight, it was intended to show the impact of removing some branches using Robert O'Tooles masking technique. it took less than 5 minutes to do in PS

Richard Kowalski
01-27-2008, 02:53 PM
George,
It was a bit chilly. It was probably around 25F by the time that image was made and that morning's low was 17F. A bit more balmy than it was two days earlier when it was 10F before dawn!

Thanks for the example Peter. I've cracked open again a few of the PS books on the shelf. Quick Masking is much easier & faster. I've just gotten into a rut in learning more of PS' tools. Guess I need to start using my graphics tablet more too instead of just using my mouse.

Richard