PDA

View Full Version : Dreary Mtn

Mike Fuhr
03-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I was going through some old pictures and found this one I took in the Andes of Ecuador, not too far outside of Quito. It's a beautiful area with lots of great scenery. I wanted to walk down to this little structure to see what it was, but never did. The thing that bothers me is the blown out sky in the URC. C and C welcome

Nikon D50
1/320
F10
18-55mm
34mm
ISO 200
Handheld

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Mike,
The colors and the light just seem to be off in the post. I like the way you used the mountains to draw out eye to the structure/hut and I dont mind the lake being cut where you chose.....as the far shoreline does also lead my eye to it. The sky blown out is an issue with me also......did you try a highlight recovery or processing the RAW file twice....once for sky with the exposure knocked down and once for the fG?? You will then have to combine the 2 but this may help the situation. Hope you can make a few corrections because this one has the potential to turn out very nice.

Mike Fuhr
03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Roman:

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I took this just after I got my first DSLR and was still shooting in JPG mode. I may be able to play around with what I have a bit more. As to the colors, it was a dreary day and the colors in the photo are as I remember them -- I didn't adjust much there. I actually have much to learn when it comes to PS and making many of the adjustments mentioned on this web page.

Mike

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Aaah...that explains a lot......try bringing in some of the darker grey into the white area.....that will help some! I'll try to be a bit more specific too when offering help. If I get a chance later....I'll revisit it......unless someone beats me to it!

Robert Amoruso
03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Mike,

Your composition works very well here. The lake is cut in a good location and acts as a leading line into the image plus is a diagonal (diagonals are generally strong compositional elements).

I am posting from a laptop in a car so not going to attempt a tweak on the sky or colors now. WIll come back to this later.