PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a Florida only forum?

James Shadle
03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Do we need a Florida and SE United States forum or just a SE United States forum?

ChasMcRae
03-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Since most of posts are Florida it would seem Florida should have it s own forum.
Chas.

Judd Patterson
03-18-2009, 07:33 AM
The southeast forum sure is dominated by Florida, so it might make sense.

Thinking a bit more...if the new SE forum doesn't include Florida, have we just created another regional forum like Pacific Northwest or Alaska/Hawaii that will be next to dead? On occasion we have had a question come about Virginia or Tennessee and it has received replies I think in part because of the extra traffic that the Florida questions generate.

I have a mapping project that I am working on to highlight hotspots in Florida, and I wanted to expand that to include Okefenokee, Great Smoky Mountains NP, and other SE hotspots.

I honestly don't mind either way, but I just thought I'd throw out the concern that a non-Florida SE forum might not be viable on its own right now.

Fabs Forns
03-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Judd has some valid points.

Alfred Forns
03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I like the points by Judd and would add this question ........ How much more could Fl benefit by being on its own? ... or putting it in a different way .. is it being hurt by not being alone?

Dan Brown
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
A question - does everyone post to specific geographic forums? I don't, I post to the other main forums. If the majority of members do as I do, then maybe we loose the ability to have post/info segretated by locale. Judd's project sounds interesting and I can see the value of geo sorted posts for something like that.

A thought - what if each post was required to have a geographic tag as to where the photo was shot for instance? Then one could search by locales. The locales could be general, not down to county or anything like that. I one was planning a trip to Arizona (or Southwest usa) for instance, one could quickly and effectively bring up all posts tagged. This might be better than a random search.

My 2cents:)