PDA

View Full Version : Male Snail Kite

Mike Tracy
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
From Saturday on Lake Toho while taking a couple out on the "Slow Poke". I haven't figured out yet how these birds survive. I am on the lake at least 2 days a week and seldom see them catch a snail although they are constantly looking for them.

The blurred wing tips at first bothered me and I would like your opinions regarding them.

MKIII, EF500@1.4x, 1/800, f/8, ISO 500, E.C. +1

Axel Hildebrandt
03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I like the light, BG and wing position and might have gone to ISO 800 for higher shutter speed.

Daniel Cadieux
03-17-2009, 11:30 AM
With just the wing tips slightly blurred I find it good enough for me. Gives just enough sense of movement, which I like. The rest of the body is tack sharp, including most of the wings.

P.S. I also like perfectly frozen wings, just a matter of taste or current "feeling"...good to have some of both IMO :-)

Maxis Gamez
03-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey Mike,

Oh man... this is good!! Love the blur, eye contact and sharpnes. You naield this one!

Good for you!

Jasper Doest
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I love the fact that this seems to be photographed at eye level....and the blurred wing tips work really well here. Otherwise this image would have become really flat. The red seems a bit too saturated, but I have never seen a snailkite in real life, so it is hard for me to judge.

Kobus Tollig
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Great comp pose and bg. Also well exposed. Did you work with the eye cause it looks very bright. Great shot well done

Mike Tracy
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
In response to questions regarding the eye this is the actual color I am observing them having right now. No sat. increase on the eye or the bird but I did decrease the yellows and greens on the background.

Thanks for you comments folks.

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Nice work Mike !! Great timing and I really like the flight pose and the excellent eye contact. Congratulations

Marina Scarr
03-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Mike:

I absolutely love the flight action you captured here, and the wing blur gives the sense of movement. The BG is complimentary. The exposure is spot on, and these male snail kites are not easy to expose. Based upon the snail kites I captured out with you, I think the eye may be a little too fire-engine red vs more on the maroon side. The reds that Canon renders aren't always accurate.

Can't wait to take you out to explore Tampa Bay!

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Fabulous image Mike. :) I wonder if that white patch on the tail retained any detail? Could just be my monitor at work though and overall I love all aspects of the image. :)