PDA

View Full Version : "New Skin For Henry"

Gus Cobos
03-16-2009, 10:24 AM
“New Skin For Henry”

Mr. Henry is back from the beach; caught up with him this afternoon growing out of his old skin. Henry was painted with a Nikon D200, using a Nikkor 200mm f/4D macro lens with a 20mm extension tube.

Image solution:
focal length @ 200mm / exposure mode @ aperture priority / metering mode @ in camera matrix metering / ISO @ 200 / white balance @ cloudy / 1/250sec. - f/5.6 / AF-mode @ manual / color space @ sRGB / lighting solution - no speedlight - ambient lighting / exposure comp @ +1.0EV / tone comp @ +1 degree / hue adjustment @ +1 degree / saturation factor @ +1 degrees / support platform - hand held; braced against tree /

Comments greatly appreciated...:cool:

Julie Kenward
03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Gus, I have to ask...are you using the extension tube so you can get this result specifically or are you just using it to get better with it and Henry was the one who came along?

I'm asking not because I don't like the photo but because I'm wondering why the extension tubes. Does it make the BG easier to diffuse? Are there reasons to use the extension tubes over not using them? Or are you just playing around? I'm asking because I am seriously considering buying a set and wanted to know your thoughts.

I like the image very much - nice and clear at the head area and beautiful lighting & BG. I wouldn't mind seeming more DOF in the back legs but that's not a deal breaker by any means...the skin has lots of good clarity and the comp is spot on. Nicely done!

denise ippolito
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Gus, I like this very much-the composition is very nice and I love the details in the little guy. The color tones are nice also-well done!

Gus Cobos
03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Julie,
I use extension tubes depending on the subject. If I want to get really close without spooking them. also depending on the lens I'll use a tele converter plus an extension tube stacked together, or multiple extension tubes stacked, to get the desired result. If you are going to get serious about macro photography; they should be part of your tool box, along with a Lensbaby...:D:cool:

Ed Vatza
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Excellent image and background. If anything, I would like to see just a bit more dof here.

Anita Bower
03-18-2009, 05:44 AM
I like this one a lot. Great composition, clean BG. Henry is posting nicely for you. I like the profile. The shallow DOF doesn't bother me a bit, but then, that is the type of photo I like.

Thanks for your info about using extension tubes.

Ken Hawk
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Love the sharpness
can I ask a dumb question, what does the extension tube do?

Thanks Ken