PDA

View Full Version : Photo ops in Florida

Bruce Kapla
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Hello I am new here. I am making a trip to the Florida Keys later this month and next and would like some tips on favorite birding spots in the Everglades or the Keys.

Alfred Forns
03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Big Welcome !!!!

Things are slowing down at ENP but still plenty good. Would try Anhinga trail and all the way down at Flamingo.

Anhinga has lots of greens active, anhinga chicks and cormorants in breeding plumage. Heavy flight activity early late. Generally you want to work the back side early then make your way to the front. Easy area to work.

At Flamingo the Osprey activity is high, look for nest as you pass the marina (on your left) nest will be on your right. One on top of dead palm just off the road.

Would try posting in the South East section, should get more information for locals !!!

btw we all use full names here and if you can pm your name will make the change for you !!!

chad anderson
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Watson's hammock at the National Key Deer Refuge is buzzing migrating birds right now. Also look for the great white heron at causeways along the way. This is always a good resource http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

Bruce Kapla
03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the infor, Chad, looking forward to my trip. T'will be the first time at Ahninga. I will get over to Flamingo and maybe Corkscrew while I am down there. I will be very close to Big Pine Key while I am there. I will look up the Watson's hammock for sure. Thanks again.

Bruce Kapla

Judd Patterson
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Bruce, you'll enjoy Big Pine Key if you take a little time to explore. It's definitely a quieter pace than most of the keys and there are hiking trails. :) You'll find many little Key Deer that are usually very cooperative for photography. I think Alfred has you all set on Everglades information. Things are really dry right now, so you might take advantage of the ability to easily hike off trail. You can wander through the dwarf cypress, mangroves, or pinelands and create your own adventure!

Bruce Kapla
03-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Judd, I think you were reading my mind. I want to indeed spend some quality time on Big Pine. We are staying on Cudjoe so we aren't very far. Around the blimp base on Cudjoe there are some really nice mangroves and wading birds. Can't wait.

Bruce