PDA

View Full Version : Blue Poppy

Anita Bower
03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I saw Blue Poppies for the first time today at Longwood Conservatory. I like this image, but would like honest feedback. For example, I'm unsure about the green in the lower right corner. Maybe it needs to be a little brighter or a nicer green.

Konica Minolta 5D, ISO 200, f2.8, 1/80, manual metering, manual focus, automatic wb, 100mm macro, tripod, natural light.

Harold Davis
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
hi anita. the green in the lower right doesnt bother me at all. it's the green in the upper left that i dont like. would rather see it blue. i like the soft light here. really nice blues!

denise ippolito
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Anita, This is beautiful and I agree with Harold in reference to the UL Corner green-I too would rather see it blue. The colors and the softness with just the right amount of focus is lovely.

Julie Kenward
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I've never seen a blue poppy...it's spectacular! I cloned over the corner of blue and flipped the image vertically because it just didn't seem right to me for some reason. I did a levels adjustment bringing the white marker into where the white on the histogram was, then did a slight curves adjustment on the upper end so the light tones would have a little more sparkle. I finished with some noise reduction and a round of sharpening.

Anita, I don't want you to feel like your image is wrong...just wanted to show you what a little fine tuning would do to it. Your original has beauty to it as well.

Christopher Miller
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Beautiful photo! Love the soft feel of this and it has just the right amount of focus. I agree on the green in the ULC. Personally, I think the photo could be lightened a bit as it looks a little dark to me. Just my opinion.

Edit: While I was writing this, Julie posted with exactly what I was envisioning in terms of the lightness, though I prefer the original composition.

Anita Bower
03-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments. I followed the instructions from Jules (thank you so much!!) and achieved similar results. Jules is helping me learn PH!! The light was poor and the flowers were all hanging down.
Blue Poppies only grow in a couple of places in the world. Longwood Gardens brings some in each year and forces them to display in the conservatory in March.

Ed Vatza
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Not much to add to what has already been said. It is a beautiful image, Anita. But I do agree on the greens. I'd rather see them out. And personally, I think the image works either you way or Jules' way.