PDA

View Full Version : Highland reflection

Tom Dolezal
03-15-2009, 01:58 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2184-Edit2b.jpg

Reflection of Quinang, in the Scottish Highlands - in traditional weather.

Technical: Canon 5D, Sigma 12 - 24, ISO 640, f/11, 1/640, 0 EV

C&C welcome

Thank you for looking

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Tom,
I like the way the clouds and shorelines lead you to the mountains...they all point to them.....and in this case....don't mind the central placement. The entire FG looks a bit dark for my tastes......so I would bring it up just a bit......to bring out some more fine detail.....but be careful!!!...not too much as it will take away from the mood. Nicely composed overall.

José Rodríguez
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I have to agree with Roman. I like it a lot, but definitly I should try something like this. Anyway great compo!

Tom Dolezal
03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Tom,
I like the way the clouds and shorelines lead you to the mountains...they all point to them.....and in this case....don't mind the central placement. The entire FG looks a bit dark for my tastes......so I would bring it up just a bit......to bring out some more fine detail.....but be careful!!!...not too much as it will take away from the mood. Nicely composed overall.

Thank you for commenting Roman.

The 'dark fg' is very much 'as it was' due to the rain clouds were moving in from behind - you can just see the dark clouds in the top of the frame - and it was just starting to rain behind me. Within a few minutes of this shot being taken Quinag was not visible due to that rain - traditional Scottish summer weather :D.

Tom Dolezal
03-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I have to agree with Roman. I like it a lot, but definitly I should try something like this. Anyway great compo!

Thank you for your comments José and your edit suggestion - much appreciated.

I have responded above to Roman's re the fg darkness. Whilst the edit has lightened the fg, it has for me, lost the sense and mood of the impending downpour that happened a few minutes later. But then, having got well soaked in that downpour, maybe am a little biased in my thoughts on the dark fg :D

Arthur Morris
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Loverly image design and I understand the mood issue but the first image is too dark for my taste.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Very nice Tom a little lighting and you have a winner

Aragorn Aall
03-17-2009, 04:15 AM
The sky is a good lead to the mountains, and that the clouds have opend to the mountains give a nice effect. Thou it feels like the complete image is crooked leaning to the right, the shoreline farthest away looks the most crooked. The picture is a little on the dark side. I like the wide crop.

Tom Dolezal
03-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Loverly image design and I understand the mood issue but the first image is too dark for my taste.

Appreciate your comments Art - many thanks.

Tom Dolezal
03-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Very nice Tom a little lighting and you have a winner

Thank you for commenting Dennis.

Tom Dolezal
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
The sky is a good lead to the mountains, and that the clouds have opend to the mountains give a nice effect. Thou it feels like the complete image is crooked leaning to the right, the shoreline farthest away looks the most crooked. The picture is a little on the dark side. I like the wide crop.

Thank you for commenting. The 'crooked leaning' is an optical illusion caused by the RH far side of that loch not being on a constant curve i.e. in parts the land is protruding into the loch towards you and elsewhere the loch extends further away from you.

David Kennedy
03-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Tom,
I was wondering why you had such a high ISO / shutter speed combination. Was this hand held (or was it windy?)? If so, then I can understand it, but if you were on a tripod, you could easily have come down to a lower ISO for a cleaner result.

Cheers,
David

Tom Dolezal
03-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Tom,
I was wondering why you had such a high ISO / shutter speed combination. Was this hand held (or was it windy?)? If so, then I can understand it, but if you were on a tripod, you could easily have come down to a lower ISO for a cleaner result.

Cheers,
David

Thanks for your comments David - much appreciated. The shot was taken handheld and very much a quick opportunist shot before the rain came.