PDA

View Full Version : Purple Iris

Richard Lovison
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
http://richardlovison.com/photos/iris.jpg
© Copyright Reserved, Richard Lovison, 2008-2009

This was taken in early morning which accounts for the dew and back lighting.

Camera Info:
Olympus E-1; Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm Flat Field Zoom; tripod; 1/125th sec.;f11; manual exposure; manual focus; natural lighting outdoors; full frame; two minor flower blemishes removed; RAW image processed in Olympus Studio 2

Julie Kenward
03-14-2009, 11:56 AM
The iris is beautiful Richard. I'd probably clone out the green in the BG behind it as I find it doesn't really add anything to the image. I do like the backlighting here - it really sets of the softness and the dew in the image.

As far as composition, I might give it just a little more room all around if you have it. It feels just a bit overwhelming in the frame size.

Richard Lovison
03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jules. The image is full frame though I can easily clone more space around the image. I'll give it a go. As for the green in the background... I thought a nice "s" curve was formed for the eye to follow, up from the bottom of the stem to the mid part of the flower and then wrapping around the background green to the top of the flower. But maybe I got carried away and instead, it creates a distraction.

Julie Kenward
03-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Richard I think if we could see more of it and it was more in focus it would really add something to the photo. As is? I'd probably suggest letting the iris stand on its own. Again...just my opinion - remember that its YOUR image.

Richard Lovison
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Richard I think if we could see more of it and it was more in focus it would really add something to the photo. As is? I'd probably suggest letting the iris stand on its own. Again...just my opinion - remember that its YOUR image.

http://richardlovison.com/photos/tulip2-e.jpg

I cloned the perimeter of the border to allow for more space as the original image was full frame. I agree with you that the added space offers an improvement in the composition. As to removing the blurred green in the background -- I'm still undecided. Thanks for your input Jules.

Ed Vatza
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Richard,

Glad to see that you found your way here. :)

I agree that the added canvas helps. But I am also in the camp of losing the oof green leaf in the background. Just my opinion.

And while I do love the backlighting (and the dew drops), I find myself wishing for just a tad more light on shadowed fronts of the petals. Not a lot; just a little bit more to bring out some of the highlights and sparkly dew.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Richard Lovison
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Richard,

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

It was a short stay Ed. A bit too much arrogance for my taste from those in charge. It's what I get for looking for answers outside myself. Take care.

Ed Vatza
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
It was a short stay Ed. A bit too much arrogance for my taste from those in charge. It's what I get for looking for answers outside myself. Take care.

I am tempted to philosophize but I won't. I have learned a lot here. More often than not the suggestions I have gotten here have helped make me a better photographer and make my images better. And where I didn't agree, I took the advice shared and filed it away in my brain for future reference. Sometimes, I try what is suggested and like it and sometimes I prefer the way it was. It's all part of the learning process for me.

Anyway, it's not for everybody. I'll see you on your blog and hope you continue to drop by mine on occasion.

Take care.

Richard Lovison
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I am tempted to philosophize but I won't. I have learned a lot here. More often than not the suggestions I have gotten here have helped make me a better photographer and make my images better. And where I didn't agree, I took the advice shared and filed it away in my brain for future reference. Sometimes, I try what is suggested and like it and sometimes I prefer the way it was. It's all part of the learning process for me.

I too learned a great deal in my short stay here. Every comment but one was constructive and to the point. I agreed with 95% of the suggestions offered and reposted smaller versions of my submissions to illustrate the changes made. It was a wonderful learning experience and I was humbled to be among such an enormous pool of talent.

The problem occurred when I locked horns with Mr. Morris and strongly disagreed with his assessment of one of my photographs. I made one error I wish I hadn't... I accused him of being "a bit arrogant" though I thought I ended my response in a very positive manner. For that I apologize. It was uncalled for and I could have expressed my viewpoint without making an accusation. But for what it's worth, I wasn't upset or thought any less of Mr. Morris at the time... I figured we were just going to agree to disagree.

What I found totally unacceptable was the removal of the entire thread including my submission. Mr. Morris has every right to do so... goes without saying. But why would I want to be a part of a community that censors to that degree? The whole thread was quite informative, could have been a learning experience for anyone who read it and probably would have contained the apology included here.

In any case, it is what it is.

And I hope you understand what I meant when I wrote "it's what I get for seeking answers outside myself." It is not meant to indicate that I wish to shut the opinions and suggestions of others out or isolate myself. I value the input of others. What's the point of taking a photograph if it's not meant to be shared? I enjoy the comments offered whether positive or negative but only ask that they be constructive. However, it has been a difficult journey in life for me thus far and I've learned that no person's voice, no matter how forceful, should ever take precedence over my inner voice. I strongly disagreed with Mr. Morris, in spite of his illustrious reputation. I wasn't going to sit passively while he made a statement that I felt was in error and accept it as my truth. And it seems because of my defiance and the manner in which I expressed it, I was silenced. So be it.

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Richard,
I may shed a little light on this and would like for you to re-consider. Mr Morris did not remove the thread. I PM'd James as to the fact that he should look at the thread as it was getting contentious.....with me included agreeing with you. You do realize that the term you used may have only escalated things.....but I am glad you offered an opology for it....and I do believe you. I did recommend we leave the thread......as there was quite a bit to learn from the disagreement. I can only offer this.......I will PM James with this post and have him take a second look at restoring that post.....for the future we must remain civil though...as things have a way of quickly escalating. Will let you know how things turn out!

James Shadle
03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Richard,
I hope you can find a way to stay. BPN is a learning experience unlike any other I know of.

It was I who deleted your thread. While we encourage healthy debate, once the debate becomes contentious, it is my responsibility to take action. I will not allow BPN to become a house divided.
I thank you for offering an apology.

Spend a little time on BPN and you will see Arthur Morris is passionate about helping our members become better photographers. You will also notice Artie's "matter of fact" style of offering critiques. If he offered a critique it was only offered to help.

BPN has no paid staff-none! All of our staff volunteers to help photographers improve their craft.
Truly a labor of love.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your visit to BPN.

James

Richard Lovison
03-19-2009, 07:49 AM
James,

The last thing I would want is to cause a division within BPN though I still feel Arthur's critique was flawed since it was wrapped around an assumption. This is just my critique of Arthur's method of critiquing and not a comment on his character as he seems like a fine fellow.

I did enjoy my visit to BPN. I'm just not sure it's the place for me.

All the best,
Richard