PDA

View Full Version : Photographing in the rain

Desmond Chan
03-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

Where I am I see more rain than sunshine. So I'm wondering I may have no choice but learn how to shoot in the rain. Is shooting in the rain a good idea at all ?

I use a Nikon D300 and mostly either with 300f2.8 or 200-400 VR. I'm quite sure if it's pouring rain, I'd better keep them away from the rain/cover them with some water-proof material. Other than that, how much rain they can take before any damage can occur? If the camera and the lens are totally exposed to the rain, will the rain water get inside the lens or the camera body by any chance? What about how to remove the water stain from the lens?

Any advice on shooting in the rain will be appreciated !

Thanks !

Desmond

Fabs Forns
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
We use Think Tank Hydrophobia and feel very well protected. Other than that, rain makes for great moody photographs, I like it a lot.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I have photographed in rain and like the mood. My 40D was exposed to light rain for sometime and it survived. My 1D Mark II has seen use in pouring rain and have had no issues. Most of the times I am using L series lenses that have better sealing. However, in one of the treks I had pouring rain and was using the 28-135 IS lens which is not a L series lens. And it worked. Some of my images have been ruined due to water running down the front element. Of course, I had to clean the front element.

Cliff Beittel
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
The Think Tank product seems very well made (haven't had occasion to try it yet). You can also get by lesser covers or even trash bags. I would not leave a lens uncovered for any length of time; the images may be fine, but the lens can later develop mold as a result of the moisture.

Tim Marks
03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I have never had a problem in light rain with my D300. I try to keep it covered when not shooting however. In a heavy rain I have actually used 2 gallon Ziplocks but I'm sure something like the
Think Tank would be best. I have never used it but I have several Think Tank products and all are excellently made and function as advertised.

Rocky Sharwell
03-17-2009, 05:24 AM
I have photographed in the rain many times--sometimes using a storm jacket--other times a garbage bag--and occasionally a towel to soak up the rain on top of the camera.

The only time I ever had a problem was Nome 2006. We were at a roadside fox den when someone needed to go into town. Artie drove the guy into town while some of us stayed. It started to rain and kept raining--I had a garbage bag that covered the 600 lens fairly well but not the MkIIN. The camera stopped working--the LCD fogged up. It recovered after two days in the room and has worked fine since then...

c.w. moynihan
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I like the TT Hydrophobia solution. It works great too if you need to handhold in the rain.