PDA

View Full Version : Upstate New York

Bryan Panting
03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I am going to be up in the Albany area in early June, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for good areas around there. Looking for wildlife/landscape areas.

Thanks

Axel Hildebrandt
03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
You could also PM Jeff Nadler. I think he knows the area well.

Bob Ettinger
03-14-2009, 08:26 AM
As Axel said, Jeff lives there and knows it like the back of his hand.

Jeff Nadler
03-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Since Albany is a small city, it is only a short drive to the countryside. If you want to only drive 5 to 25 minutes outside of the city, you will have rolling hills of argicultural lands, forests, some lakes, waterfalls, rivers. If you drive 30 minutes or more, you can be in the gorgeous Massachusetts Berkshires or Catskills. Wildlife is more limited and probably white-tailed deer on country roads would be the number one species. Specifically for scenic views and waterfalls, Thatcher State Park is suggested. The Hudson River itself, perhaps just south of Albany would be a great subject for scenics.

Bryan Panting
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I grew up in that area but have not really been back for more then a day or two in the past ten years. I have a couple ideas of places I want to go but just wanted to see if anyone had some favorite places they like to go to. I will look into Thatcher State Park for sure, thanks again.