PDA

View Full Version : Ice meets Rainforest

Simon Bennett
03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Franz Josef Glacier, South Island, New Zealand.

Canon 40D, EFS 10-22mm @ 14mm, tripod, IS0200, AV, EC -2/3, f/13, 1/100, curves applied selectively to sky, glacier, forest.

Paul Marcellini
03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I like the view, a great combo of elements too. The trees on right coming into frame bothered me a bit so a crop to eliminate them also puts the glacier off center. Also took a touch off the top. The sky sets the mood but i don't think so much was needed. Then I did a quick shadow/highlight and sat boost(may have overdone it) to give it some more pop. Shadow/highlight isn't always the best option, but it was quickest here. With the master file you would want to watch out for halos. Usually, keep the radius higher than the amount.

Robert Amoruso
03-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Simon,

Well seen image. River is a good leading line to the ice flow and combined with the hills on either side guides your right into the image.

Paul's tweaks to the image strengthen it too.

Jeffrey Sipress
03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Interesting image of a remote place (to me). Thanks for taking me there.

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Simon,
Nice mood here and Paul's crop improved the comp as the FG rock nicely leads my eye to the distant glacier. I also like the added depth and pop to the greens. Using the split ND in the field may have given the clouds some added depth....in PP'ing you may want to try a multiplied layer (look in Robert's tutorial on contrast/tonal range tweaks)....to the sky or some careful burning there. This will bring out more detail that lurks in those clouds.
Nicely composed and the tweaks will really make it shine.