PDA

View Full Version : GPS for subject locations

Jeff Nadler
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I have yet had the need or desire to own an auto or handheld GPS but see that birders are increasingly, sharing coordinates of rare or desirable birds. In fact, some desirable species for me might soon be communicated by a birder providing UTM coordinates. No idea what to do with them!

Specifically for going out in the field to find and photograph birds that birders have shared coordinates with you, is this a valuable or imperfect/novelty tool for photographers? Obviously, birds fly and wander so I mean to find general locations, not a specific tree or branch! (I assume specific nest spots are shared)

Jim Johnson
03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Jeff,
I am a biologist by trade and use a GPS on a daily basis to locate Red Cockaded Woodpecker clusters. Granted they do not move so in this manner it is a good tool. As far as finding a certain species from a photographers aspect it could be benificial to get you in the general area for breeding birds and in some instances for wintering species.

Jim

joel quenneville
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Entering GPS coordinates on Google Maps will pinpoint the area on a map as well as showing the nearby road system. This could be useful if you are going to a distant location and a friend wanted to share their hot spots with you.

Judd Patterson
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
For me the utility of a handheld GPS goes way beyond just finding specific locations. I use the Garmin 60CSx for the following features:

1) Creates gpx trackfiles by date that I can open in Google Earth to check out my path
2) Sunrise/sunset moonrise/moonset times
3) Tides
4) Tracks quite well even in tree canopy; I zip mine into the top pocket on my backpack and roll...it doesn't even need the antenna to be exposed!
5) For offtrail use, I really like knowing exactly where I left my car...especially if I hike out at night!

You can enter UTM coordinates into any GPS unit. There is also an online calculator to convert UTM to a Google Earth map if you need it. I'll try to dig up that link for you.

Rocky Sharwell
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
#5 on Judd's list was a biggie out in New Mexico last November. It was really nice to have GPS on the 2 hr walk back to the car through badlands when it got dark...

Alfred Forns
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
..... Rocky at least it was not Tundra :)

Thanks for the info Judd !!! Very much appreciated Haven't though of those extra features !!!

Rocky Sharwell
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Good point Al...