PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Arch More Traditional View

Michael Pancier
03-13-2009, 08:09 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3349023710_ce850cbb3e_o.jpg

Besides my fisheye shots, I did take some more traditional shots over there.

This was a 3 image HDR

5d Mark II
17-40L @ 17mm
ISO 100
F/16
-2, 0, +2 Ev.

Jeffrey Sipress
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I like where you placed your camera for this comp. Interesting point of view.

But, this is a typical example of the un-natural look of so many HDR's. The blues are strange and the lighting is way too even for this scene.

Paul Marcellini
03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Another eye catcher Michael. Again, the blues and yellows under the arch look cooked in this. The arch looks pretty nice and well rendered. It also seems to need a cw rotation. Fix those and you got a winner.

Robert Amoruso
03-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Michael,

I agree with Jeff, the HDR affect on the blue, red and yellow saturation is too much. I would desaturate them. Another option is to take one of the images from the series that has those areas exposed correctly, make it a layer on the HDR, mask it and paint black on those portions of the image where you want the HDR affects to show through. Does take some tweaking to make it look natural.

Just something to think about. Agree on the CW rotation.

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Michael,
I agree with the above that the HDR looks a bit unnatural here. I do like the angle you chose and the FG rocks and Mesa arch itself look perfect color wise.....just the central sky portion and the LaSal mountains just through the shadow area of the valley flooor need a bit of tweaking...then as Paul mentioned....a real winner!