PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale advice sought.

Marc Mol
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I have an opportunity to travel to Ft Lauderdale, Florida in May with my wife and am seeking some advice on where there may be some specific nature areas to photograph in the Everglades?
I'm from Sydney, Australia and this is my first time to the southern region of the USA.
Any help/tips gladly appreciated.

Cheers
Marc

Alfred Forns
03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Marc The Everglades slow down a bit in May Might be better trying Waco or Green can which both are closer to your area. Will get you more details tomorrow, getting ready for workshop !!

Michael Pancier
03-13-2009, 08:06 AM
if you're into birds, Alfred is right on. If you're staying in Lauderdale, you can make a trip to the north end of Big Cypress on I-75 which will offer more landscape ops than bird ops at that time, it's beautiful there. You can drive down from the North end to the south end of Big Cypress via SR 29 from I-75 to US-41, in that area you have some state parks and numerous boardwalks and trails that offer nice environments. If you do the long drive south, you can check out the main park entrance for the Everglades. Bugs may be more prevalent by then, but again, it's a unique landscape.

If you want to see something truly unique, you may want to consider doing a kayak eco tour out of Everglades City .... about 1.5 hours west of Fort Lauderdale. I can hook you up with the captain that runs a kayak eco tour company out of there. they will take you in the heart of the 10,000 island area of the Everglades. estuaries and shallow rivers; pristine beaches and islands; and lots of bird colonies....

good luck

Marc Mol
03-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Many thanks for the advice everyone, would it be worthwhile to take an Airboat ride across the glades, and the opportunity to photograph from it?
Any particularly company that take only small groups?
Thanks again.

Regards
Marc