PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at the Bay of Pigs

Richard Stern
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
On a recent birding trip to Cuba, we stayed a resort at the very spot where US forces landed in April 1961 in the failed invasion. They may well have seen a very similar scene. I felt that the effect of the sun and the sea-fog looked reminiscent of a battle zone. I hope the crop I made is appropriate.

D300, Nikon 80-400, hand-held
ShutterSpeedValue: 1/320
ApertureValue: 8.0
ExposureCompensation: +1/3
MaxApertureValue: 4.9
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
FocalLength: 150.0 mm
ISO: 800

Richard

Paul Marcellini
03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I like the crop and the darker processing works here too. Especially with the little narrative. Excluding the narrative, I pulled a curve up a little and hit it with some contrast. Just another interpretation with a little more pop.

Robert Amoruso
03-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Richard,

I like that you used a fast shutter speed and got all the detail in the water as it makes it look angry. For this reason I prefer your version over Paul's though his looks just fine. Goes to show how subtle tweaking can affect and image.

Crop is just right for me and I have several images like this, just not from Cuba. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Richard,
Both versions work for me but if I had to choose.....I would go with the darker version too.....as it does look angrier....and that is my preference most of the time.....but I'd imagine Paul's repost would appeal to more people......so just keep that in mind. I'm not sold on the water though as for me......it just seems a bit out of place/contrasting with the smoothness of the sky. Did you try dropping the ISO and going with a slower SS to smooth out the water some? I often find that I try a bunch of SS in such a situation and decide which water texture I like best when I get home. All in all....well composed and the crop choice is excellent as is the sun placement. Well done.