PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale advice sought.

Marc Mol
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I have an opportunity to travel to Ft Lauderdale, Florida in May with my wife and am seeking some advice on where there may be some nice nature reserve areas to photograph.
I'm from Sydney, Australia and this is my first time to the southern region of the USA.
Any help/tips gladly appreciated.

Cheers
Marc

Judd Patterson
03-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Just to the north you will find to man-made areas called Wakodahatchee and Green Cay Wetlands. These spots have boardwalk trails that are very popular with walkers and photographers. The birds in those areas are extremely tame. There is also nearby Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. If you have more time to travel (probably 90 minutes one way) you could reach 1.5 million acres of Everglades National Park for wildlife and scenery. These are the more popular options, but there are also several county and state parks that can introduce you to remnants of Florida habitats saved from development. I am quite sure that you would find a lot of great wildlife on your trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alfred Forns
03-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi Marc

Great advice form Judd and fully agree !!! Let me know the dates and might be able shoot with you !!

Everglades National Park will be slowing down by then, I think your better up at Waco and Green Cay. One other location near by is Long Key. Just google for directions. Its a rookery with lots birds returning at the end of the day ... fun shoot !!!

Marc Mol
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks Judd & Al
I'll be in Ft Lauderdale from Sat 2nd May, after a long flight from Sydney, (flying out late Sat the 9th). And will be ready for action most likely from Mon 4th May. I also plan on fishing for your famous Tarpon, so I'll need a day for that as well.
To get to these reserves will mean a hire car?
I've heard of the Eco Kayak trips in the Glades, are these a good option for this time of year?
One more thing, I'll be flying from LA with American Airlines, what is the max carry on weight and is it rigorously enforced?
If your offering your paid services Al, I would be very interested in a day tour somewhere in the above mentioned areas.
PM or my email is: romols@gmail.com

Cheers
Marc

Judd Patterson
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Marc, your best bet getting around to these areas is a rental car. Public transporation does exist down here, but it is fairly poor compared to some cities...especially if you want to reach natural areas.

Flights within the United States seldom enforce carry-on weight limits...they only seem to care if the bag is obviously too big. I flew the American flight from LA to Miami last week and the only problem was that I boarded very late and I struggled to stuff my small carry-on into an overhead bin. American charges extra for checked luggage, so lots of people try to carry-on big bags. I would recommend that you try to board very early in the process and you will have no problems. The bins on the outside of the plane are much bigger than the inner-bins too, so try the outside bins if you have a big bag. It's a long flight with no free food too, so bring some snacks! :)

Marc Mol
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Judd.
Not quite sure what you mean by the outside bins of the plane? Do you mean the bins above the window sides?
Also is it worth an afternoon visit to Butterfly World at Coconut Creek?
Thanks again

Cheers
Marc

Judd Patterson
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
You are correct, I was referring to the bins that are on the window side of the aisle. Give American Airlines a few more months before they start strapping gear to the outside of the plane!!

I can't speak for Butterfly World because I've never visited...I live at the south end of Miami, so I routinely escape to the Everglades National Park and leave the urban areas behind. :) While Alfred is right that bird activity will be diminished in Everglades in May, I still think visiting the park is worthwhile. Let us know right before your trip and we can provide the latest information. As the dry season comes to an end in late May we'll start to get more afternoon thunderstorms that can be extremely impressive. If you've seen the work of our landscape photography guru Paul Marcellini, much of his best work comes in May-October with the great skies!

Michael Pancier
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Judd.
Not quite sure what you mean by the outside bins of the plane? Do you mean the bins above the window sides?
Also is it worth an afternoon visit to Butterfly World at Coconut Creek?
Thanks again

Cheers
Marc

butterfly world is a lot of fun, but they close around 4pm. the lighting is harsh during their hours of operation and a challenge. (also you cannot use tripods or monopods there). Best bet is to pray for clouds.

Marc Mol
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
butterfly world is a lot of fun, but they close around 4pm. the lighting is harsh during their hours of operation and a challenge. (also you cannot use tripods or monopods there). Best bet is to pray for clouds.

Thanks Michael
According to their website, they actually close at 5.00pm but don't let anyone in after 4.00pm.
My reasoning was to get their around 2.30 -3.00pm when the schoolies have gone ;), giving myself around 2 hrs to get some shots of the Hummers.

Cheers
Marc