PDA

View Full Version : Group Living

Steve Maxson
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
From a distance, this looked like a beat up old whelk shell washed up on the beach. Up close, well, it is still a beat up old whelk shell, but it has also, over time, become a small ecosystem. The main cavity of the shell is occupied by a Giant Red Hermit Crab. I see at least 4 other small crabs clinging to the inside of the shell. There is a clump of whitish slipper shells (I think) just to the left of the hermit crab's legs. There appear to be a couple species of acorn barnacles attached all over the whelk shell's exposed surfaces and the numerous small holes in the shell are made by boring sponges. Maybe you can spot even more critters. :) 20D, 90mm tilt/shift, 1/30, f/16, ISO 200. Comments are welcome.

Gus Cobos
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I like the framing on this Steve,
The details and color rendition is very good...:cool:

Julie Kenward
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Steve, that's an amazing image! It's incredible how they all moved right on in, isn't it?

I love the lighting on this and the diagonal lines in the sand going against the shape of the shell. Really nice comp! You've got lots of detail and textures - and tons of interesting things to look at. Well done!

Mike Moats
03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Hey Steve, good looking condo, nice sharp details and good comp.