PDA

View Full Version : Orchid close up

Anita Bower
03-12-2009, 06:46 AM
I have some questions about this image. 1. Why is there no detail in the white and yellow areas? Is it overexposed? I don't see detail in the RAW version either. 2. I barely sharpened it: amount 38, radius 0.8, threshold 12. If I sharpen more, I get a bit of a halo around the white, curvy petal.

Konica Minolts 5D, 100mm macro, tripod, natural light in Conservatory, f 32, 1.6 sec, ISO 100, WB daylight, pattern metering, manual focus.

denise ippolito
03-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Anita, I'll let the experts advice you properly. But I will say that sometimes a poorly exposed image will not have the amount of detail that a properly exposed image would at least that has been my experience. I am not saying that is the case here. I have no idea what the lighting in the conservatory is-having never been there.Sorry I couldn't help-but I do like your subject and your composition!

Julie Kenward
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Anita, I opened up the photo in PS and you have a very small spike on the white side of the histogram. I don't think it's enough to take out detail, though. My thought is it might be the lighting in the conservatory - I know I've battled with their windows and lights and it's not always easy to get a decent image inside one.

My other thought is that orchids tend to be rather 'flat' when photographed - it might just be the way the surface of the petals reflect (or don't reflect) light.

I hit the "auto" button in levels and you're pretty close to being right on the money with it being exposed so my guess would be lighting. Next time, try some fill flash if you can or take along a small white card to reflect light onto the white areas and see what kind of effect that has on the flowers in the conservatory.

I do like your image, though. It could use a bit more crispness but again...probably the lighting. The composition and colors are lovely. You're making me seriously consider taking a trip to my botanical garden tomorrow...

Mike Moats
03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Anita, it looks like you just need more sharpening, as far as the amount I always use at least 150% and many of my images with the 180 sigma I go up to 250% with my radius, and theshold about the same as your stats. I never have a problem with halos when sharpening and I'm still using elements 2.0.

Anita Bower
03-13-2009, 06:01 AM
I appreciate the feedback!! Using a reflector is a good idea. I used one that day, but don't remember if I did in this shot. Mike, I'm wondering what resolution you are using when sharpening. 150 looks like it works at 300 resolution, but, is too much at 100. I'm posting the image with your suggested sharpening at 100 resolution.