PDA

View Full Version : Estero Lagoon in morning fog.

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I see some "Avian" people have taken the plunge in the Landscapes section...so here I go too!!

From Artie's SW Florida IPT a couple of weeks ago. It was quite spectacular to see the sun poking through coastal fog with palm trees silhouetted underneath. The fog was somewhat thicker and the scene overall "cooler" than what it appears here, but I pushed the contrast and colour temperature for added effect. Artie, and another participant, were standing next to me photographing it too...but most of the group had not noticed this beautiful scene developing behind them:).

Canon 40D + 100-400L @200mm, aperture priority, eval metering, 1/640s., f/9, ISO 800, +1 EC, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_Esterosunrisethroughfog_4307-01.jpg

Robert Amoruso
03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Well done Daniel. Good use of layers - close FG bushes darker then further off middle ground trees and then the more distant but brighter sun. I also like the slanted treeline with its hills and valleys.

Maxis Gamez
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the club!! :D. I'm loving this man... excellent composition and mood!

Paul Marcellini
03-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Man I love the mood and glow on this. The palms make excellent silhouettes and the low bushes give some nice depth. Great placement of all the elements. Stop in more often. =)

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum! See....I know if I convinced a few of the AWF guys to stop by you wouldn't disappoint us! Your choice of going with the sepia tone works very well here. Florida has difficult landscapes....but you chose very well. As mentioned above.....just enough of the dark black base to ground the viewer and then the softer feel of the palm silhouettes out to the diffused sun......which was placed very nicely in the frame. Would I have preferred more seperation in the trunks.......maybe......but you deal with what is unfolding in front of you and the mood/fog.....which is the main centerpiece....was very nicely captured! Nicely done!

Arthur Morris
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey Dan, Yours is way better than mine. Did you see Roman's coment above? I told you that we should have chopped down those exrtra trees for more separation in the trunks. You did a great job of framing without any condos!

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Now you know Artie.....I'd never condone the axing of trunks!!!....but moving around a bit......sometimes reveals better trunk seperation.

Arthur Morris
03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
How about the blowing up of condos? Did your third grade teacher not tell you that there is "a rat" in separation???

With one trunk right behind the other no amount of moving would have helped. Perhaps a three stop ND would have done the trick????

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
OK Artie.......so maybe my 9th grade typing skills are not up to par......but what in effect you are telling everyone by your comments.....is that if there was a flock of birds flying.......and you couldn't get seperation with one in front of the other..........that it was OK to have all the merge in the image.....because you couldnt' help it.......or would you tell them to delete it??? As far as the condos......I don't care if they were there or not......that is your compositional problem as a photographer.....and if they affect the final presentation......then maybe not making the image was the correct choice. BTW......did you miss the part that I said I liked it???...was OK with the trunk seperation.....or was it an oversight??
As for the grad ND......the trick is to know when to use it correctly...or not use it at all...not fix it in PS later.

Arthur Morris
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
OK Artie.......so maybe my 9th grade typing skills are not up to par......but what in effect you are telling everyone by your comments.....is that if there was a flock of birds flying.......and you couldn't get seperation with one in front of the other..........that it was OK to have all the merge in the image.....because you couldnt' help it.......or would you tell them to delete it??? As far as the condos......I don't care if they were there or not......that is your compositional problem as a photographer.....and if they affect the final presentation......then maybe not making the image was the correct choice. BTW......did you miss the part that I said I liked it???...was OK with the trunk seperation.....or was it an oversight??
As for the grad ND......the trick is to know when to use it correctly...or not use it at all...not fix it in PS later.

Roman. I was just pulling your leg a bit (as I always do) but it appears that I struck a nerve. Sorry.

As for the flock of birds, they are constantly fluxing and the flock is changing shape, not so with a grove of trees. And, I never even implied that you did not like the image.

And the ND was just more teasing. Sorry again for piling it on (but there was no malicious intent at all).

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey Artie,
Not a problem......forgotten already!