PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mood

Ed Vatza
01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I decided to leave the birds for today and try something different. I went out with the intention of trying to capture the "mood" of this winter day through a series of close-up portraits aimed at capturing the simplicity of the season. I would hope that the individual images capture the mood as well as the series.

This particular image (Teasel, I believe) was made using my Canon 30D with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens and 580 EX II flash handheld.

1/125 sec at f/6.3; ISO 640; 0 EV;No Flash for this image; FL 200mm

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/039_1.jpg

Mike Moats
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Ed, love the subject, good light and details. BG works well. My only suggestion would be a slightly tighter crop. Well done.

John Cooper
01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi Ed, I nearly skipped over the thumbnail of this one (slap on wrist):) but so glad I clicked on it.
It really does have a lot of impact - from the intricate design of the teasel to the moody portrayal of this composition. Well seen and taken!!

Ed Vatza
01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Mike, John,

Thanks for the critiques. Overall, I was very pleased with how most of the series turned out. Subjects were sharp and crisp while backgrounds remained diffuse and captured the moodiness of the season. I happen to find subject matter like this very interesting. I just wonder at times whether others do?

Again thanks.

Ed

Jeroen Stel
01-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Ed,

I think this subject suits the time of year and you have captured the essence well.
I do agree with Mike though that a tighter crop would improve this. Besides that perhaps a slight curves adjustment and one more round of USM would make this "pop" a bit more.

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Ed Cordes
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Ed, nice image of this Weaver's Teasel. It is called that as in the colonial days the teasels were used to comb cotton into long strands so they could be spun into yarn. They do make great subjects.