PDA

View Full Version : Another Florida Update! (Because I can?)

Brandon Holden
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Another Internet connection, and time to kill before the afternoon light, has inspired me to post some more about my Florida travels and birds I've seen! (Hopefully could be a reference for others in the future!) I have spent very little time with songbirds, mostly the larger stuff...

Since the last update, I spent a few days around Little Estero/Cape Coral... I think I hit some back luck at Little Estero, with strong winds/blowing sand/ and a lack of "new" subjects (just the very very regular species, missed some common ones some days) Spent a few evenings with the Burrowing Owls in Cape Coral and had an amazing time. Just driving around I found at least 10 active burrows, and settled in a spot with 3 active burrows in the same parking lot. Wonderfull time and lots of photos! Spent a few mornings at Bunche Beach as well, hoping for a White Reddish Egret in high breeding colours (had a white bird at Little Estero, but lacked the colours!) But I didn't get it here. Overall a very good time in this area!

I then moved to Tigertail Beach at Marco Island and had a great time. I'd seen Snowy, Wilson's and Piping plovers at other locations, but I found the photography here was great for these birds. The day I arrived I saw my target bird - White Reddish in high breeding colours, but it was high noon, and the bird left soon thereafter. It took another 1.5 days for the bird to come back, but I got some shots in the end, so I was very happy! I saw some Burrowing Owls around the Island, but didn't stop to take shots. Osprey in this area were very tame as well.

Next I went to the everglades! Where I was very excited to be. Anhingia Trail was "slow" according to the people I talked to, but I had an amazing time. Missed a Purple Gallinule flight shot that seemed to be a sure-thing, which made me sad, but I didn't complain! Saw my first Short-tailed Hawk overhead as well! Went down to Flamingo and saw a number of Swallow-tailed Kites on the way. I stopped at the roadside to photograph them for the rest of the day, and missed the opportunity of a lifetime with a kite, which caught a frog right in front of me (long story, will tell it here when I get home!)... So there was some very high points, and some low ones as well! (That's the way it goes I guess). The Naturalist in me had a really great time, seeing all sorts of life. 2 Crocodiles at Flamingo were a big highlight as well.

Started heading North and went to Green Cay Nature Centre (and the near by wetlands) and had some more great photography. It was refreshing to get some species I'd yet to get - Glossy Ibis, more Purple Gallinule, Limpkin, Blue and Green-winged Teal, Sandhill Crane. The crane was an amazing experience, letting me sit beside it (3 ft away) for half an hour while it caught grubs! Something I will remember for a long time.

A few more stops left! Snail kites on an air boat tomorrow hopefully, then maybe another stop at Gatorland, and then maybe Merritt Island NWR!

Thanks a lot for all the help I had here from BPN'ers! It really has made this trip exciting. Yesterday I went over the 15000 photo mark for the trip, and there's still time for lots more! Lots of image posting to do when I get home!

All the best!

Brandon

Rocky Sharwell
03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Brandon:

Be forwarned a lot of stuff is closed on Merritt Island if the shtuttle is taking off or landing. I am not sure how far ahead of time they do the closures. Call the refuge office.....The shuttle was supposed to take off today--but it was postponed. Not sure when it will go...

Another Internet connection, and time to kill before the afternoon light, has inspired me to post some more about my Florida travels and birds I've seen! (Hopefully could be a reference for others in the future!) I have spent very little time with songbirds, mostly the larger stuff...

Since the last update, I spent a few days around Little Estero/Cape Coral... I think I hit some back luck at Little Estero, with strong winds/blowing sand/ and a lack of "new" subjects (just the very very regular species, missed some common ones some days) Spent a few evenings with the Burrowing Owls in Cape Coral and had an amazing time. Just driving around I found at least 10 active burrows, and settled in a spot with 3 active burrows in the same parking lot. Wonderfull time and lots of photos! Spent a few mornings at Bunche Beach as well, hoping for a White Reddish Egret in high breeding colours (had a white bird at Little Estero, but lacked the colours!) But I didn't get it here. Overall a very good time in this area!

I then moved to Tigertail Beach at Marco Island and had a great time. I'd seen Snowy, Wilson's and Piping plovers at other locations, but I found the photography here was great for these birds. The day I arrived I saw my target bird - White Reddish in high breeding colours, but it was high noon, and the bird left soon thereafter. It took another 1.5 days for the bird to come back, but I got some shots in the end, so I was very happy! I saw some Burrowing Owls around the Island, but didn't stop to take shots. Osprey in this area were very tame as well.

Next I went to the everglades! Where I was very excited to be. Anhingia Trail was "slow" according to the people I talked to, but I had an amazing time. Missed a Purple Gallinule flight shot that seemed to be a sure-thing, which made me sad, but I didn't complain! Saw my first Short-tailed Hawk overhead as well! Went down to Flamingo and saw a number of Swallow-tailed Kites on the way. I stopped at the roadside to photograph them for the rest of the day, and missed the opportunity of a lifetime with a kite, which caught a frog right in front of me (long story, will tell it here when I get home!)... So there was some very high points, and some low ones as well! (That's the way it goes I guess). The Naturalist in me had a really great time, seeing all sorts of life. 2 Crocodiles at Flamingo were a big highlight as well.

Started heading North and went to Green Cay Nature Centre (and the near by wetlands) and had some more great photography. It was refreshing to get some species I'd yet to get - Glossy Ibis, more Purple Gallinule, Limpkin, Blue and Green-winged Teal, Sandhill Crane. The crane was an amazing experience, letting me sit beside it (3 ft away) for half an hour while it caught grubs! Something I will remember for a long time.

A few more stops left! Snail kites on an air boat tomorrow hopefully, then maybe another stop at Gatorland, and then maybe Merritt Island NWR!

Thanks a lot for all the help I had here from BPN'ers! It really has made this trip exciting. Yesterday I went over the 15000 photo mark for the trip, and there's still time for lots more! Lots of image posting to do when I get home!

All the best!

Brandon

Judd Patterson
03-12-2009, 12:29 AM
They do close Merritt Island 1-3 days before a space shuttle launch. With last night scrubbed launch and the rescheduled launch for Sunday, I don't think you'll get access. You might want to reroute to Viera Wetlands on top of Gatorland. Enjoy and thanks so much for your great update!!!

Maxis Gamez
03-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Great report. Where are the pictures?? :D

Brandon Holden
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Im home!

I decided to skip the Merritt Island stuff due to the closure! Thanks a million for telling me that it was closed!!! I guessed "what are the odds of me being here, when a shuttle is being launched?" I almost stuck around to watch it go, but I decided to go home (as I was feeling a bit sick).

Final days were excellent as well....

Did an airboat tour with Kissimmee Swamp Tours with Captian Rob (www.kissimmeeswamptours.com) for Snail kites. Left around 8am, $130 for around 90-100mins... AMAZING time! Couldn't say enough good things about it! 500-600ish photos of the kites, males, females, snails, brances for nesting etc etc etc.... Will type more about it later! But would highly reccomend it to anyone. Also saw a Whooping Crane here which was very exciting for me!

Spent another day at Gatorland afterwards, to see how the nesting had progressed (it was 2 weeks since id been there) and had a great time. 7 Spoonbills, 3 adults (one in stunning condition with yellow on the head) made me very happy, as I hadn't taken much of this species so far on the trip. Far less baby Great Egrets than I expected, but they may be dissapearing at night, thanks to the local Barred Owls??? Still had a great time here!

Last trip was to Cruickshank Sanctuary to photograph the Scrub Jays, and spent an amazing afternoon with the birds. They seem to be trained to land on your head, and wait for handouts. If anyone is going for the first time, bring shelled un-salted peanuts!!!!!!!!!!! They love them, and they will take them for hours (they fly away and stash them, then come back, so bring lots!) It was a really great way to end off the trip!

More trip details and my first photo post should appear in the birds forum in the next 1-2 hrs! An early favourite from the trip, of a Burrowing Owl!

Thanks again for all the help! It was amazing

B

Mike Godwin
03-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Brandon,

Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Glad you had a great time in Florida, and it was a pleasure having you out to Gatorland. Can't wait to see more of your pictures!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland