PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray Owl - Success!

Graham Smith.
03-10-2009, 08:40 PM
This was such an awesome moment! He caught this vole after hearing it underneath a foot of snow, from his perch more than 50 feet away!. That is some incredible hearing!

Shot with Nikon D90, AF-S 300mm + 1.4TC, f/5.6, 1/2000. I removed some small twigs that were extending from behind the bird.
The lighting was very poor, so I had to shoot at iso 800.

Thanks for looking!

Randy Stout
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Graham:

Great capture! For both you and the owl! The technicals look good, except I would try to brighten the image a bit, which should help bring out more detail in the bird and vole. I like the composition.

How long did you have to wait for this to happen? I am amazed you were able to get in this close. Were you in a blind?

Thanks so much for sharing.

Randy

Fabs Forns
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I love the action captured and the pose. I agree with Randy on lightening the subject, even the snow could go brighter. Congrats on getting the image!

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2009, 06:26 AM
I agree on lightening the whole image some. I would also see if you could work the eye a bit as it seems a little on the dull side of things. Selectively using the sponge tool set to saturate at about 8% opacity should liven the yellow in there. Great to see a natural prey!! Good pose, and I like the hint of habitat.

Randy, these guys (and most other boreal owls) are notoriously tame in nature. You can almost walk right up to some of them!!

Robert Amoruso
03-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Great job capturing the action. I reposted with a correction to lighten it using levels (mid-tone slider) and since it looked a bit flat, medium contrast curve preset in a curves adjustment.

A lot of ways to work the tones here. One way is to set a white point on the brightest part of the snow and then bring up the tonality of the owl for a very different look.

Graham Smith.
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the repost Robert - the lightening improves it immensely. I must admit my original post looks much darker this morning on my work monitor, compared to my laptop last night. I need to do something about that.
Randy, I was watching him for about 45mins before he took off for this vole. As Daniel mentioned, they're quite tolerant of people. No blind needed - I was actually standing beside my car on the road!

Axel Hildebrandt
03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Great moment captured and that without baiting. I also like the details and composition. Robert's repost improves it a lot.

Randy Stout
03-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Graham:

Thanks for the info about the capture.

It is such a strong image, I would be tempted to do just a bit of gardening on the 3-4 small twigs at the front of the bird that intersect with the owl and or vole. The rest are OK, but that is such a focal point, that it would be worth it, IMHO.

Should be easy too with the white background.

Again, a wonderful image!

Randy

Grady Weed
03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Another vote for Roberts re-post. May I ask why you were at ISO 800 and yet you were at 1/2000 for Shutter Speed? You might have been able to come down to ISO 500, +1 or 2 stops of light to bring up the exposure. I have had some pleasure to image these owls here in Maine, always against the snow or high key sky. I am not knocking your image just a suggestion. It is worth the efforts to bring it up to par.

Graham Smith.
03-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your comments Grady,
I was anticipating him leaving his perch, and wanting to get a decent shutter speed for the flight shot I bumped up my iso to 800. I don't think anything slower than 1/2000 would have been adequate since anymore wing blur would not have acceptable. Your suggestion would likely have worked, and is something I occassionally do for subjects against a bright backdrop, but I didn't know what I was going to be dealing with once the bird took to the air.

Grady Weed
03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation. It always pays to be safe.

Arthur Morris
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Killer job of capturing the peak of the action and killer repost. There is a slight blue cast to the snow even in the repost.

Robert Amoruso
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Killer job of capturing the peak of the action and killer repost. There is a slight blue cast to the snow even in the repost.

Agree Artie but I did the PS work in a car on a laptop while someone was driving but knew the cast was there. :)

Hard to be too exacting bouncing around. :(

Setting a white point on the snow would get rid of the cast.