PDA

View Full Version : Cracked

Michael Lloyd
03-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Aransas National Wildlife Refuge (Texas)

The bottom of what was a large pond (small lake). Drought conditions have taken their toll.

<edit> hmmm... the posted version needs more pop...

1DsMKIII
180mm macro lens (not "just a macro lens"

ISO 400
1/400s@f16

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I make these too but will try to get something on the lake bed to act as a center of interest.

I am debating if the pattern is a strong enough graphic element to hold its own and will be interested in others impressions. To accentuate the graphic qualities, which I believe you need to do to make this study of the patterns work, I would go with a big increase in contrast. B&W conversion is another option to Michael.

Arthur Morris
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I like the pattern but the light seems to be horrific. In what lighting conditions was it created?

Michael Lloyd
03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks Robert. I think I'll give the B&W idea a try. That usually helps when lighting is as bad as Artie noticed :)

Artie- The shot was taken at about 3:30 in the afternoon. Not exactly prime time to shoot.

Michael Lloyd
03-10-2009, 04:10 PM
My B&W skills usually leave a little to be desired. Here's a high contrast conversion.

Paul Marcellini
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Well for these to work, i do think you need directional light to emphasize the cracks, but this may be a bit too much. I have a few but not been totally happy with what I have gotten. I think a higher viewpoint may help, looking down on the textures more. This is an area of imagery I am also trying to get better at, the lack of a subject/texture pattern stuff.

With this, the left area of a somewhat circular radiating pattern catches my eye. I may try subtly dodging/burning to highlight it just a bit more than the rest.

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey Michael,
This isn't working for me either....because of the above mentioned center of interest...but mostly because of the light. I would love more texture in the mud....or maybe it's just too much.....try maybe a macro approach.....just 3 or 4 cracks and pieces??? Just a thought.

Michael Lloyd
03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I tend to agree with everyone. It looked great in the field... but it doesn't seem to want to make it to print :)

Last try...

Mike Tracy
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I tend to agree with everyone. It looked great in the field... but it doesn't seem to want to make it to print :)

Last try...

But it would make a excellent jig saw puzzle.

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey Michael,
sorry it took so long...but I was away on my tour to Florida.......I thought about this one a while......I really like the concept so I wanted to give you an idea.....I debated what i liked and dosliked about the image.....as mentioned above....the light was less than ideal....but the graphic nature was very cool.....I played with a few crops and decided....that maybe concentrating on a smaller part......may give the desired effect you were looking for. An idea for next time in the field. Let me know your thoughts.

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2009, 11:24 AM
or even this...

Michael Lloyd
03-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Roman. I think I like the second one better. Its a definite improvement over the others

Sabyasachi Patra
03-21-2009, 12:22 AM
I have tried these compositions but have difficulty in pulling it off. The harsh light makes it tougher.