PDA

View Full Version : Ground Owl portrait

John Hawkins
03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Photographed this owl in Cape Coral. Was not shy at all and let me get close. Seemed more concerned at something overhead as kept looking skyward. Used my Sony A100 with Sigma 50-500, f/6.3,1/500,+1.3 ev, ISO 200, 500mm. On tripod as low as I could get. Bright sun behind me at about 2:00 Sunday. Appreciate your comments, thanks for looking.
John

Doug Brown
03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
I like the eye contact John, but I wish the irises were a little better lit. I might have gone for slightly more DOF by increasing the ISO; although it's mostly sharp, my eye keeps getting drawn to the OOF area on the breast. I would probably clone out the diagonal line at the bottom left of the frame. Thanks for posting!

Axel Hildebrandt
03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I like the eye contact and complementing BG and also wish for better-lit eyes.

Jasper Doest
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I'd suggest you to go back at another time of day if possible....as the light seems a bit too harsh for my taste.

Daniel Cadieux
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I also suggest going back. Low early morning or late day sun directly behind you would light up the eyes beautifully and take this type of image up many notches!! Even mid-day overcast conditions would be better as the eyes would not be set in shadows like here. With the light conditions as they are here I'm sure some flash would have helped.