PDA

View Full Version : I-25 Lenticular Sunset

Arthur Morris
03-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Headed back to Socorro on I-25 north this lenticular cloud began to light up so I pulled off of the interstate to make a few images.

I fouled up some attempted stitched panos but was happy with this image created with the (much maligned) Canon 100-400mm IS L lens (tripod-mounted at 260mm) with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops: 1/30 sec. at f/5.6.

Small crop from the top. One-Shot AF.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. I am here to learn too.

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Killer looking clouds Artie. I like the anchor of the silhouette of the mountain which has a pleasing and interesting outline. I like the graduation of gray tone at top to the sunlit clouds to a combination of gray tone/sunlit clouds to the dark mountain. To bad the one cloud along the ridge was not above the ridge but it is what it is. Funny how the 100-400mm can make such great images.

Thanks for posting here.

david cramer
03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Very nice rendition on the colors caught by the lenticulars. I like the layers in this image. There seems to be some oversharpening evident along the mountain ridge.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think I've seen such a cloud pattern, pretty cool. I also like the exposure control and composition.

Paul Marcellini
03-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Man those greys set off the lit clouds real nicely. Only nit is what Robert picked up, the intersecting cloud and mountains. My 100-400 got a lot sharper with the 50d. I will keep it no matter what I may upgrade to. (Unless canon releases a f4 version)

Ian McHenry
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Three things I particularly like about this image.
1. The beautiful cloud colours.
2. The soft orange colour on the right below the Altocumulus Lenticularis clouds.
3. The strongly defined silhouette of the mountains.
For Axel: Here is quite a good url about these clouds http://www.stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/lenticul.htm
Cheers: Ian Mc

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Artie,
Really nice job on the colors and silhouette. the flow of the mountain works well with the colors and gradation. It does not look over sharpened on my monitor. I too love the 100-400....but in this case I wish you had used the 24-105......only because i would have liked to see the edge of the main cloud right and left.....unless you tell me it ran on for a long way......if it was just out of frame.....then I would have opted for the 24-105........that being said......still very nice use of layers/colors and curvy silhouette. New Mexico does have some of the nicest and wierdest sunrises/sunsets i have ever witnessed.

Jeffrey Sipress
03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice clouds and image. Too bad the edges are cut off, but the clouds are beautiful. The 100-400 is a good lens, and I made many fine photos with mine before I turned it into a 300 F2.8.

Grady Weed
03-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I had to come back to this one several times Art. I like the clouds somewhat, but wishing there were some rays or something to enhance it. It does have a lot of appeal however. Thanks for posting.