PDA

View Full Version : Harris's Hawk Juvenile beside Fish Pond

Gus Hallgren
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi, This young Hawk was photographed beside a fish pond in our housing development in Green Valley, AZ. Note that it is standing on one foot. Falconers have determined that standing on 2 feet is considered "Sharp Set", and standing on one foot is considered "At Rest" or "Well Fed." Hawk stayed in that spot for longest time with me sitting in my car at the curb about 30' with the door open and 1/2 dozen people gathered around, There were 4 Hawks in the park, one in a tree, one on the railing obove the fish pond and one bathing in a small waterfall pond, all 3 in the shade with the other one beside the pond in full sun with a few shadows from the reeds. all were juveniles. Settings were: Olympus E-510 IS, with 70 - 300 ED Zuiko Lens 1:4-5.6 140mm - 600mm Equiv. Hand Held sitting on seat, 1/25/2008, 1:26PM. Aperture Priority, F6.3 1/125s, ISO 200, Auto WB, 0.00EV . . . Gus

George DeCamp
01-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Gus,

How lucky were you to have caught that bird and made this image! Very cool indeed!

Couple things I see here. Looks like you have some hot spots on the bird...the bottom white feathers, they can be fixed in photoshop. Composition is good but may need a little clockwise rotation.

Pretty darn good for hand held too! You are getting some nice images Gus!

Richard Kowalski
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Gus,
Nice strong image. For my personal taste, I'd like to see the corners on the right side burned down just a touch, especially the lower corner. IMO it looks a little 'unbalanced'. With such a dark left side and dark body of the bird, the brightness of the corner draws my eye out of the frame.

Richard

Gus Hallgren
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi George & Richard, Have a look at edited photo and see if it looks any better. Liked your suggestion to level, George. Gus

Richard Kowalski
01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
The rotation looks good, but I think the burning is a bit heavy. I was thinking just in the corner, more of a slight vignetting than anything else. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Gus Hallgren
01-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi Richard, I should say neighbour, as we live close to each other. Thanks for your comments. I didn't do any burning, but brought the colour up to match the rest of the railroad tie. Take care . . . Gus

Nonda Surratt
01-27-2008, 08:12 AM
What a wonderful bird and image!!! Everything else has been covered

George DeCamp
01-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi George & Richard, Have a look at edited photo and see if it looks any better. Liked your suggestion to level, George. Gus

Now you're on the money Gus!!! :D

ps: If you think of it next time just post the redone image under the old one so other folks can learn as well.....that includes me ;), I pick up good tips here from the gurus myself!

Gus Hallgren
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi George, Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Just posted Owl with trees :) and lost thumbnail when site closed down for a short while. . . . Will try to post original HawkGus

Gus Hallgren
01-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi George, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I should have left the original where it was and then post the edited version above with message? Sort of a thick skulled Swede :D . . Gus

George DeCamp
01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi George, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I should have left the original where it was and then post the edited version above with message? Sort of a thick skulled Swede :D . . Gus

It still works this way too....better the other way though.:D
Glad you posted it in any event!!