PDA

View Full Version : California Poppy

Aidan Briggs
03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
The poppies are finally starting to bloom again! I always look forward to photographing these flowers every spring.

50D, 60mm macro
1/160, f/4.5, ISO 400
natural light, natural setting.

Gus Cobos
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Aidan,
I like your composition, image and capture...the hues of orange are very nice...also like the selective focus and depth of field...my recommendation would be to crop from the bottom slightly up to where the s curve begins on the petal. this makes it a much stronger composition by eliminating the negative space on the bottom...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mike Moats
03-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey Aidan, very cool comp, and like the DOF, and good point of focus. If this was my image I would clone the orange over the green in the upper corner, it pulls my eye there, and once my eye goes there it not something that adds to the image.

Julie Kenward
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Very nice poppy image! I took off the little at the bottom (as Gus suggested) and a little off the top (as Mike suggested), cloned out the blue in the bottom left corner and darkened the pinker area on the middle left of the image. Just some ideas to help you visualize another composition...

Christopher Miller
03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Very nice! Excellent DOF and colors, and Julie's crop makes it perfect. Good job!

massimomossi
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I love the original post, with that splash of contrast in the corner. I am always tempted to leave those in, both for color and as a way to suggest a world beyond the flower itself. I know that for many they are distracting, and that the BG color has no other counterpart in the flower, so sometimes I will leave more than one corner in place, just to create some "rhythm" for the contrasting color. In this case, the tiny sliver of blue between petals works that way for me.

That said, the repost by Jules is very effective ... a matter of taste, but also of different effects.

Anyway, I LIKE IT!

Congrats,
Massimo

Anita Bower
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I like it! The center seems nestled in the petals. The curving lines and composition work very well. I think I like the cropped version a tad better.