PDA

View Full Version : Misty Sunrise

Axel Hildebrandt
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I usually don't make a lot of landscape images but the sunrise looked so gorgeous that I used my 'dedicated 500mm landscape lens' to try a view different things. It is full frame, no NR applied. I didn't increase contrast to keep the early morning feeling. Any advice or suggestions?

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/109970484/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1/640s, f/6.3, EC +0.67, ISO 1600

Arthur Morris
03-10-2009, 05:37 AM
I like it but not as much as the VERT that I think was posted in Avian. Here, it needs a bit more room on the bottom. It is a lovely image with soft light and mist but pales in comparison to the great VERT COMP here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31710

In the image posted here, the two main elements, the sun and the big tree, are too centered.

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Axel,

I would agree that the sun and tree are strong compositional elements but are too centered here. I looked that the vertical posted and feel that the vertical is stronger but I would suggest more room left and right as the avian posted vertical is too tight for me taste.

My suggested crop below. I do see that the tree and sun both lie along the vertical ROT lines in the original presentation. I think this image is a good example where disragarding that rule pays off.

Dave Mills
03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Robert...I feel you nailed the crop. I like the compositional balance...

Axel Hildebrandt
03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Thank you, Robert! Your crop certainly looks more interesting.

Arthur Morris
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
The cropped re-post is better but it still suffers from tight on the bottom and the VERT post is still KING.

Paul Marcellini
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Haha, I want something in the middle of it all. Vert is tight on the right of the sun and the cropped is a little tight on top. Still I like this a lot, the soft tones, and nice layers.

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Axel,
First...welcome to the forum! Nice to see a landscape....even if it is at 500mm it is very well done! You have the nice layers in this and for me....the vert had even more of the fog.....and I do like that a lot....but I loved the way the mountain led you into the sun....the top was just a bit tight. I am not sure if you are ok with such things......but I did them to show what could have been done.....even in camera. I added canvas to the top and brought the sky up there. I cropped ever so slighly right and left and proportionally off the bottom....what I added to the top. I didn't mind the cropped geese.....but did clone out the edge.....just to show the possibilities....as again.....I was OK with them cut...or even as you presented in the original (and hey....you've got to choose somewhere!). The re-post basically becomes a rule of thirds grid....with the sun and tree on both vert lines. let me know what you think

Jeffrey Sipress
03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice work! I like using my 500 for landscapes, too. Did you pay all those birds to show up in time?

Axel Hildebrandt
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Axel,
First...welcome to the forum! Nice to see a landscape....even if it is at 500mm it is very well done! You have the nice layers in this and for me....the vert had even more of the fog.....and I do like that a lot....but I loved the way the mountain led you into the sun....the top was just a bit tight. I am not sure if you are ok with such things......but I did them to show what could have been done.....even in camera. I added canvas to the top and brought the sky up there. I cropped ever so slighly right and left and proportionally off the bottom....what I added to the top. I didn't mind the cropped geese.....but did clone out the edge.....just to show the possibilities....as again.....I was OK with them cut...or even as you presented in the original (and hey....you've got to choose somewhere!). The re-post basically becomes a rule of thirds grid....with the sun and tree on both vert lines. let me know what you think

Thanks for the warm welcome and repost, Roman! I like your crop idea and the composition works for me. I guess I should think of bringing a shorter lens next time. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
03-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice work! I like using my 500 for landscapes, too. Did you pay all those birds to show up in time?

Thanks, Jeffrey! This is a major migration area. There are about 60,000 snow geese and 4,000 tundra swans right now.