PDA

View Full Version : White-browed Woodswallow with Chick

John Cooper
03-09-2009, 03:04 AM
This is an update from my previous post (White-browed Woodswallow). Taken 10 days later whith advanced chicks. I arrived early on this morning to find that the other chick had already fledged. This one fledged about an hour later.

EOS 5D, Canon 70-200mm F2.8L plus Canon 1.4 converter, ISO 640, 1/200sec, F11. Natural light with fill flash.

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
I'm liking the comp on this one alot John. The curved piece of bark from your previous offering, although important to the nest, is not a distraction this time around. Great head angle on both subjects, and we can see the dependence of the chick towards the parent - excellent interaction.

P.S. The colours look very dull and unsaturated...this is because you haven't converted your image to sRGB for web presentation. Leaving it in RGB tends to do that on the web...

John Cooper
03-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Repost as sRGB (previous image Adobe RGB).
Agree Daniel that this is an improvement - perhaps a little saturated though.
I use to convert to sRGB for monitor viewing but many images became over saturated so I kept with Adobe RGB.

Randy Stout
03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
John:

I like this one, as Daniel mentioned perfect head angle on the adult, nice interaction of chick with adult.

I think the flash helped, my only slight distraction is the bright piece of bark just in front of chick. If it were possible to select this and darken it just a bit, I think the image would be even stronger.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I like this one, too. Great head angle and interaction. I find it surprising that the little one is about to fledge, it doesn't look as if he could already fly or do they hike first? :)

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi John, The repost is an improvement, richer and the colours are more alive...and I don't see it as being too saturated as what your concern seems to be.

I use to convert to sRGB for monitor viewing but many images became over saturated so I kept with Adobe RGB.

When you "proof" your sRGB converted images in PS do you see a jump in saturation? Also, take a look at it from RGB, do you see the image colour and contrast change? Do your posted images look the same on other monitors other than yours? What about your monitoe calibration? I'm just wondering because when I post a sRGB converted image it looks exactly like what the "proof" shows me and pretty much the same from other peoples monitors too. I'm just asking these questions because of your quote above. Colour management gave me a few headaches a couple of months ago - I pulled a few hairs out!! Just making sure you don't have to go through that too :-)

Arthur Morris
03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Wonderful interaction. A beautifully amazing bird. I do not mind the bark shingle; it gives the aura of protectedness (if there is such a word).

Randy Stout
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Artie:

I do find that in the repost, the 'bark shingle' is just slightly darker, and doesn't stand out so much. I really do prefer the second one.

Randy