PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Head - Ballhead and Sidekick

Chad Griggs
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for a Ballhead to use with my Sigma 150-500. I'm finding this difficult because someday I would like to own a larger lens that will require a gimbal type head. My plan is I could get a decent ballhead now and then later add a sidekick to make it a gimbal system.

Maybe its easier to just find a used whimberley gimbal head now, so feel free to steer me in that direction.

Anyway, could someone recommend me a ballhead for under $200 that I could use for now and then use it with a sidekick later?

Thanks!

Michael Eckstein
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I had the Wimberly Sidekick and used it with a Linhoff Profi II ball head. I replaced it with a Jobu Jr gimbaled head, same cost as Sidekick and does not need ball head. It is a much better choice. Much less weight than the Sidekick/ball head combo and works much better.

Chad Griggs
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Do you know how much weight that would hold? I'm thinking someday I may try to own a Sigma 500 4.5 HSM, so I would need something that could cary that weight.

Chad Griggs
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
The RRS BH-55 is more than I wanted to spend, but I'm starting to see some advantages of having a ballhead instead of just buying a gimbal type.

My problem with RRS is you need a different mount for every lens/camera body? Thats annoying... I just don't know what I'm going to end up with. But I definatley need something different than what I'm currently using...

Arthur Morris
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I had the Wimberly Sidekick and used it with a Linhoff Profi II ball head. I replaced it with a Jobu Jr gimbaled head, same cost as Sidekick and does not need ball head. It is a much better choice. Much less weight than the Sidekick/ball head combo and works much better.

MMy belief is that the Mongoose M3.5 is much better than the Jobu Jr., weighs less, and performs better. I use it regularly with the Canon 800mm f/5.6. The results can be seen in the Bulletin Archives.

You can learn more about the Mongoose Mm3.5 head here:

http://www.birdsasart.com/mongoose.htm#Now%20Available:%20M%203.5:%20Gimbal% 20Head%20for%20Larger%20Telephoto%20Lenses

I have been doing this for 25+ years and I do not BS folks so it is amazing to me to see so many folks using and recommending junk for the lack of simply knowing what is available.

Chad Griggs
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Looks like I need to look into the Mongoose as an option. Thanks Arthur.

Arthur Morris
03-12-2009, 01:29 PM
YAW. It is light, handles the big lenses with ease, and, with good sharpness techniques you can produce very sharp images with it.

Chad Griggs
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Does that flash bracket work for both the M2.3 and the M3.5?

Arthur Morris
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, the Integrated Flash Arm fits both.

Chad Griggs
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Ok thanks! I think this will be a good option for me.

Michael Eckstein
03-14-2009, 05:08 PM
MMy belief is that the Mongoose M3.5 is much better than the Jobu Jr., weighs less, and performs better. I use it regularly with the Canon 800mm f/5.6. The results can be seen in the Bulletin Archives.

You can learn more about the Mongoose Mm3.5 head here:

http://www.birdsasart.com/mongoose.htm#Now%20Available:%20M%203.5:%20Gimbal% 20Head%20for%20Larger%20Telephoto%20Lenses

I have been doing this for 25+ years and I do not BS folks so it is amazing to me to see so many folks using and recommending junk for the lack of simply knowing what is available.

I do not recommend the Jobo Jr for an 800mm lens. The Jobu Jr. is certainly not junk! The original poster was asking for something to use with a Sigma 150 -500. The Jobo Jr cost about 1/2 of the Mongoose Mm 3.5 head, so one would hope the Mongoose is better. The Jobo Jr. is more in line with the budget of someone who is using a Sigma 150 - 500 lens. I have owned and used the Sidekick and find the Jobo Jr out performs it for lenses within the Jobo Jrs. weight range.
As I do not sell or represent the Jobo Jr. I have no axe to grind here. I am just recommending what I have used for a few years and would suggest to someone with a lighter weight lens and a limited budget.

Arthur Morris
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
My life experience is that if you buy junk, and I stand by the fact that the Jobu heads that I have encountered in the field were junk, you wind up tossing the junk in the trash and then buying the quality product anyway....

Chad Griggs
03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I got a Mongoose M 2.3 used for an excellent price, this handles the Sigma 150-500 without any problems at all. I've never owned another gimbal type head before, but I almost can't believe this wouldn't handle a much larger lens. Very smooth and sturdy, thanks for the advice...

Arthur Morris
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but "I told you so." <smile>

We do advise the M3.5 for the larger lenses. You were lucky to find a used one.

Arthur Morris
03-30-2009, 06:16 AM
This from a French customer visiting the Everglades recently:
Hi Artie,
I am back to home and have the chance to use my Mongoose 3.5 for 2 two days
in Everglades. It's really the product I needed. Less voluminous than
Wembley, easy to transport, it's really well adapted to a 50/150Sigma. Thank you for your help Regards jean-françois

Jay Gould
03-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Will the 3.5 handle the smaller lenses - 100/400 or the 400 - and then you can grow into it, or if the 400 is going to be your largest lens should you buy the 2.3?

If used with the 400 are there any other parts that need to be purchased, e.g., mounting plates?

I would be using it on a Manfrotto 055CSPRO3 tripod.