PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1D MII - Auto Focusing

Norman Pyett
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
When photographing birds in flight with my 1DmII what is the best AF to be using? 9 point, 11 point or all points.
Seems as hard as I try, I can't seem to nail them. When I use DPP to view the shots & zoom to 100% or more, the shot's just not sharp.
I'm shooting Av, 400 iso, F8 or F11. Partial metering, 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L S. My stabilizer mode is set to 2, & I'm using "in service" on the stabizer.
Help! What am I missing here. (buy the way, I am panning)

Loyce Hood
01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
What focus are you using? I use continuous focus (AI Servo) and try to stay right on his head. Once the focus settles down, all you have to do is have your camera on burst mode and continuous focus and you should nail him.

Loyce

Bob Ettinger
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Just remember that shutter speed plays a role as well. If you are using too low a speed they will always be soft.

Jim Neiger
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Try using the center AF point only, particularly if the bg is not the sky.

Robert O'Toole
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I have used 45 points (expand to 7 points and AF tracking on slow) on all of my Canon pro bodies since 2001 and if I can frame them the AF can nail them. Once you lock on with the center point the AF will track the subject.

Bob E is on to something, Shutter speed in much more important than stopping down most of the time.

Center AF is okay if you want all your shots with the subjects centered.

Robert

Norman Pyett
01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you all for the valuable information, after a weekend of test shots on various bird, I have packed up my 1D MII & the 100-400mm & sent them to Canon NJ for there expertise. I did consider letting someone from the local BPN use the lense to get there opinon, but didn't want to burden anyone. So as of this am, I'm without. Will let everyone know the outcome.

Robert O'Toole
01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Norman,

I am based right across the bay next to Tampa so in the future just let me know if I can be of any help anytime.

Robert

Norman Pyett
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks Robert, I keep that in mind, I see you also teach photoshop. I know enough to get me into trouble.
Regards
Norm

Don LaVange
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I have used 45 points (expand to 7 points and AF tracking on slow) on all of my Canon pro bodies since 2001 and if I can frame them the AF can nail them. Once you lock on with the center point the AF will track the subject.

Bob E is on to something, Shutter speed in much more important than stopping down most of the time.

Center AF is okay if you want all your shots with the subjects centered.

Robert

What am I missing here? 45 Points expands to 7? That does not seem to make sense to me, but that should not surprise anyone. I have AF tracking on halfway between slow and moderate. I am an "older" photographer that came from film and split focus screens. I was pretty good years ago, but reflexes and eyesight have changed and AF has made me take up Bird Photography as a challenge.

Right now my Mark 111 is in Virginia being remodeled (LOL) and I hope to get the right settings in place when it returns. Thanks!

Don

Robert O'Toole
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Don,

sorry that was an error, I was referring to a C.Fn.17 on the MKIIN cameras. It expands a single point to 7 to track erratic subjects if the camera cannot find focus with the single one. This doesnt apply to 45 point AF, only when choosing a single point.

Robert

Don LaVange
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the update.

Rene A
01-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Norman,

I have the same setup as you with the same problem the picture are not sharp panning and also the 100-400 IS f5.6 looks up at times.

When you get your cam & lens back from Canon can you please post the results???

Thanks

Renate

BTW I have set "Contrast" to a lower setting and see if that will improve it!

Alfred Forns
01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Norman are you getting good results with the camera/lens combo in a tripod locked down?

Would check before sending them back !!! Might also try another lens !!