PDA

View Full Version : selective focus

John Chardine
03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm having fun with my new Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens- in a way the antithesis of a macro lens. It does not focus that close and is designed to be used wide open. However, it is exceptionally sharp and the ability to pull out a subject from the BG with such a narrow DoF is its forté. Thus it helps to make order out of chaos. Anyway I'm going to experiment a lot more with this technique and I'm interested to get people's reaction. BTW, subject is a potted fern.

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm, f1.2 L USM II
capture date: Saturday, 7 March, 2009 11:47 AM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 200
shutter speed: 1/500
aperture: f1.2 (!)
exposure bias: --0.7
metering: Pattern
flash: ON -3 ev

denise ippolito
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
John, I like the selective focus,has alot if interest to me,I like how the light is dancing around the frame!

Gus Cobos
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Well composed and executed John...I like the selective focus point and the depth of field...the color rendition is superb...congrats...looking forward to seeing more...:cool:

Julie Kenward
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh GREAT. Now there's ANOTHER lens I want!!! ;)

John, I think what I love the most about this image is the composition. You have this continual repetitive pattern throughout the image but the way you chose to photograph it made just the lower left third be the focal point. Brilliantly done!

I do think you need a little noise reduction around the darker areas - especially near said focal point. Either that or you might try doing a screen layer to lighten the darker areas up a bit and mask everything else back off.

Beautifully done. Now hand over that lens! :D:D:D

John Chardine
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'll correct the noise Jules (not used to doing this with the 5D!).

This is a killer lens Jules. Just really learning how to use it because it is so different. Focus is totally unforgiving at f1.2 as you can imagine. Wide open it lets in almost 4 stops more light than f4 so shutter speed is rarely a problem even indoors.

Go out and get one, do not past Go, do not collect $200!