PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary re posting on Facebook

Craig Markham
03-08-2009, 02:27 AM
On 17 Feb 2009, Art Wolfe made an entry on his blog, entitled, "Facebook and Photographer Rights", where he points out finding that Facebook had made a major change in its user licensing terms that appear downright confiscatory regarding rights to posted material -- including photographs. If you contemplate posting your copyrighted material on Facebook (why, I can't imagine!), better read the fine print first.

Subsequent comments by others on Art Wolfe's blog indicate that Facebook may have retracted the language in the face of a firestorm of protest. However, who would be crazy enough to trust an outfit that would try to pull a stunt like that in the first place?

Here's the link to Art's posting, which includes quotes of the offending language that Facebook inserted (apparently unannounced) in their user license agreement:

http://blog.artwolfe.com/?p=154

Axel Hildebrandt
03-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Good to know, thanks for the information!

John Chardine
03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Craig. I don't use Facebook though. It seems I was a generation too early.

denise ippolito
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Craig, Thanks for the info!

Rocky Sharwell
03-09-2009, 05:31 AM
The terms of service are still bad---they are just not as bad. I would not post an image on Facebook that I did not want used w/o permission...

Jim Poor
03-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I started using FB for some networking right before they made the change to the Terms of Use. I get asked now and then why I don't have wonderful photos on my FB profile and the reply is that until FB gets their TOU straightened out, I won't be posting many photos at all, and certainly nothing of any value.

Michael Pancier
03-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't upload any photos on there other than BS images...I only link to pics from my other sites which is outside the scope of their nutty terms.....

Robert Amoruso
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
This made national news a few weeks back. They claimed stupid but since lawyers write this stuff, I don't think that is the case.

Fabs Forns
03-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, I have been asked a few times, but never had time to look at it.