PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Tanager, juvenile?

Jim Buescher
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Can someone please verify that this is a juvenile Scarlet Tanager. If not, then what?

http://jimbuescher.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p1036128388.jpg

Paul Lagasi
03-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Jim photo is locked we can't see image

John Chardine
03-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Jim- As Paul said, can't see the image. It is possible that the host of the site where the image is located is blocking access somehow. Is the image in a password protected album?

Full BPN members can upload images directly to the BPN server, thus avoiding these issues. You may want to consider upping to BPN Member.

Jim Buescher
03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks, The image size I sent was protected, I could see it but you couldn't, sorry. I'll re-submit it.
Jim

John Chardine
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Jim- First you are right about a juvenile bird. The fleshy lips around the inner part of the bill indicate this. Second, the bird has wing-bars which eliminates a Scarlet Tanager, and anyway the bill is too long and pointed for a tanager in my opinion.

To me this looks like a oriole and I would guess an Orchard Oriole based on the greenish colouration, location.

What do other people think?

Richard Stern
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I agree with John for the reasons he has pointed out - juv. F. Orchard Oriole. The only N.American Tanager with wing-bars is the Western, and that has a shorter more orangy bill (and it would be very unusual to see a juvenile in Ohio).

Richard

Richard

Jim Buescher
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. There was a Scarlet Tanager calling nearby when I took this shot leading me to think it was possibly a juvenile, but I'm going with Orchard Oriole juvenile.

Thanks again,
Jim