PDA

View Full Version : Painted bunting

mhackett
03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
http://images-1.redbubble.net/img/art/size:large/view:main/2700516-2-painted-bunting.jpg

This is a Painted bunting that has decided to spend the winter here in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He is not alone, but accompanied by a female and a first year male. This is one of my first images with my new 600 VR lens, given the poor lighting conditions (deep shade), the extreme magnification factor (1.7x attached), and my lack of any experience with this length of telephoto technique wise I feel pretty good with this result. Thankfully, I think I got a sharp copy of this lens and teleconverter.

RAW (12-bit), Nikon D300 + VR 600mm F/4G + TC17E II (effective 1380mm), AF-C, Dynamic 21 points, VR ON, F9 @ 1/200s, Aperture Priority, +0.3EV, Spot, ISO 1600, Color Space: Adobe RGB, High ISO NR: ON (High), Active D-Lighting: Low, Picture Control: [VI] VIVID
Sharpening: 4, Contrast: Active D-Lighting, Brightness: Active D-Lighting

I converted from NEF to TIFF 16 BIt in ViewNX, then sharpened, resized, and sharpened again in CS2.

I was shooting from the car, using a Kinesis Safari Sack on the door for support.

Any thoughts on my settings and process are also welcome as well as comments on the shot in general.

Thank you for looking.

DustinFinn
03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
You're linking from Naturescapes doesn't seem to be approved by naturescapes.

I suggest another hosting service.

mhackett
03-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for heads up, didn't realize but it's all fixed now.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
The details look definitely good. You must have been pretty close considering the shallow DOF. The blue looks a bit too magenta on my monitor. Enjoy your new lens, I look forward to more images made with it.