PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

Paul Burgess
03-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi all!

Took a walk down at Lake Ontario yesterday afternoon. Here's one of my shots.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NgELvbgT1k0/SbKobiqZetI/AAAAAAAAAXc/qXJ_maZHPIU/s800/_MG_1872.jpg

C/C please!

Happy shooting!
Paul

Paul Marcellini
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I like the idea of narrow dof to isolate your subject here Paul. The only problem is the other object still grabs my eye. A crop under that could work, and I was also thinking a high contrast bw to emphasize the textures. I really like the soft light here.

Roman Kurywczak
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Paul,
The other Paul is correct that you had very nice soft light and it brought out the texture nicely......part of my issue is the OOF distant ice???....and the gull???. I was going to recommend going lower to minimize the middle ground as the large expanse is uninteresting but the curve does mimic the shpe of the log....but there appears to be another log in the FG (LL corner). The other part is that I am not particularily fond of objects going out of the frame/protruding in....especially when they are the main focal point.........so bottom line....idea was nice but exploring other angles was the key here. I do also like the idea of B&W conversion.

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Paul,

Roman brings up a good point on the FG center of interest, having cut it, interest in is is diminished and you lose the viewers attention. For the selective focus to work, the BG object used to balance the scene should be distinct enough to be recognized otherwise you leave the viewer wondering what it is.

For this type of image you want to accentuate the texture of the log, not clip or cut it, balance it with a reconginzable element in the BG and use the right balance of DOF for the viewer to be immeidately drawn to the FG in focus element, eye wander back to the BG and say, hey I know what that is and come back to the FG center of interest.

Looking forward to seeing more of y0ur images here.