PDA

View Full Version : Yellow . . .

wendell westfall
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
D70s 70-200VR 2X @400 1/800 f5.6 ISO400 +2/3EV

I was doing my currently usual thing this morning -- photographing activity at GBH nests and hoping for BIF opportunities -- when I heard a sound to my right. I turned and touched off a burst, capturing this image. It is a very different one for me, since all my efforts have been directed at the broad category of water birds. This is a cutie and perhaps quite common, but even after googling "yellow birds" I have no idea what it is (closest I could come was goldfinch). What do you think?

Wendell

Kerry Perkins
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice catch Wendell! I'm not doing so well with the ID either, I'm thinking Lesser Goldfinch... Did you get any other angles that would help with field markings? Very pretty bird!

For techs I would say the yellow breast is over-saturated and hot and the eye could be sharpened a tad. Good eye contact and HA!

Lance Peters
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi wendell - Love the contrasting colours - yellow bird against blue sky, contrasting colours like this always appeal to me at least. You have a good HA and a nice cathlight in the eye - agree yellows could be taken down just a tad. Always pays to be alert...

One thing I learnt t along time ago was when shooting you should always have both eyes open when looking through your viewfinder - does take a bit of getting used to if you usually close one eye - but has the added advantage of peripheral vision from your other eye .

Keep em coming.

Gus Cobos
03-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Wendell,
I like your composition,, image and capture...totally agree with Mr. Peters on the issue of both eyes being open...it gives you the edge, also walking with your camera and looking through the view finder at the same time, composing for the best capture angle...once you start doing this, it will become second nature...and will allow you to lock and acquire your target very fast. :cool:

Alfred Forns
03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Good point on the yellow saturation Kerry !!!

Wendell I would post at the max size for better evaluating !!! Looks good to me ... would like a lower angle !!