PDA

View Full Version : impressing dune

Viola Brandt
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
This shot was taken in Namibia December`08 one hour before sunset. I like the structures of the sand created by the wind and the scenery of the Tirasmountains in the back. I`m not happy with the misty air that makes the mountains and sky slightly dull.

Critique and comments are welcome.
Thanks for looking,
Viola

D200
AF-S 24-85 mm @24mm
f18
1/20 sec
EC +1/3
ISO 200
tripod

Viola Brandt
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Sorry, have some problems with the attachment. Have no idea why the image appears so small?!

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Viola,
Welcome to the forum. When I double click on the small image...it comes up larger size. Not sure why this is. You may want to ask the technical staff. You chose an excellent time of day as the ripples in the sand are nicely accentuated. I wish there was more of a strong focal point they were leading us to....but the mountains are pretty nice and you did well to minimize the sky. I may lighten the shadow area a bit.....as now it pulls the eye.....but all in all a nice first post! Looking forward to seeing more!

Dave Mills
03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with Roman's points. I have found when I shoot images similar to this the composition tends to be stronger if it's shot as a vertical...

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Dave has a good point that a vertical here would accentuate the lines in the sand more. I like the dark triangular BG section just over the dune which transitions to the BG mountains - good use of layering to create depth.

Welcome to the forum and BPN - looking forward to seeing more of your images Viola.

Paul Marcellini
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I agree a vertical could make this more interesting. Maybe if you had panned right a little to shot the different layers of light/shadows, there would be more interest. I really like the light and ripples on the foreground though, welcome to the board.