PDA

View Full Version : Bodie Lighthouse near Kill Devil Hills

JB Ellis
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
This shot was taken during the recent Carolina Nature Photographers Assoc. mid-year outing to the Outer Banks, NC. It won first place in their competition. Even though its not a high contrast scene, I used HDR (photomatrix pro) to bring out more of the colors. Plus and minus 1 1/3 stops were used as I didn't want the extreme HDR effect. I posted it here because I could not post it on CNPA (hand of man is subject).

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey JB,
A lot of nice elements in this one.....Very nice placement of Bodie light and the sky colors are fantastic. Did debate the LR corner for a bit but didn't like cropping it as I like the tree reflections on the left & IMO doesn't detract from the overall beauty of the image. The v formed by the grasses is also a very nice touch. Very well done!

JB Ellis
03-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Roman, That is ice in the LT corner and it bothers me a little too, but as you said, I did not want to clip the tree reflections or lose anymore of the cloud reflections either.

Dave Mills
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
JB...You've captured an image that has beautiful lighting, good composition and interest. I also like the V formed by the grasses and the soft feel(due to the beautiful light) the image emits. Well done!!

Grady Weed
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
TO me the reflection in the water is a Key component here to making this one pop. I like the colors in the sky. Perhaps some more deep hues might make it more of a contrast. But nice as is. The ice does not bother me. the grasses are a nice touch and add to the image.

Fred Bourque
03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Love the reflections and the colors of the sky. As other have said the v in the water adds a great touch of depth. I think you captured the scene very well. Nice job on the HDR work!

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Well done JB on the comp. The water forms a pleasing triangle in the FG plus the reflection, hill on a diagonal, lighthouse in the right place and interesting sky. The HDR work was just right to bring out the tonal range while looking very natural.