PDA

View Full Version : Accipiter ID

Len Blumin
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Digi-scoped yesterday near local water treatment ponds. In field appeared to have a rounded tail (not shown). Some have questioned my initial ID as a Cooper's Hawk. Futher input welcomed. Distance 40'. Minimal crop.
Swarovski 80HD, 30X eyepiece, DCA, Nikon 8400 (f/3.5, 1/397 s., -0.7EV, 12.3mm zoom).
Haven't figured out how to attach photo, so here is link:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3331637115_ca82bd3e1c_o.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3331637115_ca82bd3e1c_o.jpg)

ChasMcRae
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I vote for Coopers because the tail suggests rounded although would like to have seen whole tail.
I have seen large sharp shins.
Accipters can be tough-big SharpShin or small Coopers ? Arguments go on and on.
Wait to see other votes.
Chas.

Paul Lagasi
03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Len
...these types of Hawks...Coopers and Sharp-Shinned have led to many a long discussion in here...Round tail, has a neck, yellow eye...I go with Juvenile Cooper's .. but without seeing the bird its very tough...

Roy:
A 2nd winter Juvenile or Sub-Adult would be going into adult plumage soon I assume...only thing that leads me to believe juvenile is Yellow eye's.. adults have red eyes..also A sharp-Shinned has larger more conspicuous eyes than a Coopers..and young sharpies do not have a rounded tail....lolol..having said that your guess is as good as mine, seeing as how you've been into falconry for so long....cool site

lolol..as Chas said the debate goes on......check out some of the great identification photos at these 2 sites:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterphoto.htm

Roy Priest
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Definitely not a juvenile coopers due to color and shape of the breast feathers, coops would be streaks. My vote is Sharpy.

John Chardine
03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
We don't seem to be able to agree on these do we?!!!

Note to Roy- the bird here looks very much to me like the bird in this post:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29826

in which we had a long discussion over Cooper's vs. Sharpie. Roy- your opinion was that the bird in the link was a Cooper's.

Roy Priest
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
John and Paul, I know I'm right so why don't you just go along?<LOL>
In reality these birds are so hard to tell apart unless you are right there and can see the whole bird, it's size and numerous other things. I tend not to over analyse these shots too much and go on the "feel" of the bird. If it doesn't look like a Sharpy then it isn't a Sharpy if you know what I mean.
John, there was an adult Coopers on the forum a few days ago and if you look that bird had yellow eyes. Sometimes these field marks lead one to a wrong conclusion.

Paul Lagasi
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Roy...I understand, as I said above you've held, flown, viewed these birds all your life, I'm not doubting your choice.....its just I feel Coopers not Sharpie....
When I get back out your way Roy, I've a few friend in Richmond, Coquitlam and Burnaby, I'd love to see some of your birds. Drat, such a gorgeous day, to be stuck at work....Paul

LOLOL...laughed for a while in other thread .... RE: its not a Sharpie..thanks Roy

Roy Priest
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Roy...I understand, as I said above you've held, flown, viewed these birds all your life, I'm not doubting your choice.....its just I feel Coopers not Sharpie....
When I get back out your way Roy, I've a few friend in Richmond, Coquitlam and Burnaby, I'd love to see some of your birds. Drat, such a gorgeous day, to be stuck at work....Paul

LOLOL...laughed for a while in other thread .... RE: its not a Sharpie..thanks Roy

I just reread my post and this sentence "John and Paul, I know I'm right so why don't you just go along?" Was supposed to have a big LOL on the end of it. Would kind of change the tone, I was trying for a funny. Sorry to all those that read the original version and now think I am a jerk.
You are welcome anytime. That goes for anyone else on this forum too.<LOL>

Len Blumin
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
All-
Thanks for your input. Carol Edwards wrote that the photo seems to show a pale nape, which is a pretty good field mark for Cooper's Hawk.

Paul Lagasi
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
LOL...Hey Roy not to worry....all in fun...but remember..one of the things I learned early last Feb 2008 always proofread before you post...

Len....Glad we could help...its fun, and a great way for us to get better at ID'ing. You also now have the tools, next time make sure you get the front end and tail...lololol..by the way nice photo for digiscoping

Len Blumin
08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Paul, and others. Regret that other tasks have kept me from learning and using this site, but I hope to find time to learn from the expertise of the group.

Regarding ID, I still favor Cooper's. The bird was hunting from a tree on a levee near water treatment ponds, and far from any woodland. The great majority all the accipters that we see at this location (Las Gallinas ponds, San Rafael, CA) are Cooper's Hawks.

Cheers, Len

John Chardine
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Len- I think you get the record for rejuvenating a thread dormant for the longest on BPN! Welcome back. Stay for a while!