PDA

View Full Version : Playing Footsie?

Arthur Morris
01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
My sometimes strange sense of vision combined with long effective focal lengths often leads me to create body parts-type images. This Double-crested Cormorant foot was photographed on the recently concluded San Diego IPT with the Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens, a 2X II TC, and the EOS 1Ds MIII body. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/11. I used One-Shot central sensor AF and recomposed off center. (I focused about half way up the middle of the three front toes.) I stopped down one stop for a bit of additional D-O-F. To give the image the clean look that I wanted a good deal of sand was removed using the Spot Healing Brush, the Clone Stamp, and Quick Masking techniques.

Don't be shy; all comment welcome. Later and love, artie

Arlene Spagna
01-26-2008, 11:57 AM
It looks like you achieved your goal of a clean look. No denying what the subject of interest is here. The blacks are black with detail showing. It really is an (foot) in your face image! To me the negative space on the left works well.

A question, why ISO 800 when the bird is stationary?

Arthur Morris
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Glad that you liked it Arlene. When working at an at effective 1000mm (20X maginifaction) focal length a shutter speed of 1/320 is not a bad idea. The absolute truth however is that I failed to check my settings. Not sure why I was at ISO 800 but when I saw that single foot on the white rock I just knew that I had to have it <smile> As for winding up at the "wrong" aperture, shutter speed, or ISO that happens to us pros as much or more than to the rest of you folks. Stuff happens quickly and it is better to make an image or two than spend time checking and re-checking: "When unexpectd action occurs, push the shutter button!"

In addition, the noise on the MIII is so minimall that ISO 800 stuff looks great.

later and love,

artie

Arlene Spagna
01-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Aha, thanks, Artie. Glad to know I'm not alone here - as I've also failed to check the ISO more than a few times, but agree, don't want to take the time when an image happens fast!

Fabs Forns
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Love the graphic elements of this composition. I see Alfred is not alone in the foot fetish business :D

Pat Nighswander
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
I like this bold crop ,, sharp details and texture..bw.minimal image

Alfred Forns
01-27-2008, 03:44 AM
...... ah a foot !!!!!!! Love it :D:D :)

Kenn Christensen
01-27-2008, 10:46 AM
after a few weeks on this site Im only begining to understand the subtlties of whats been done here.... I took a similar shot a month ago that did not work ANY where near as well.... I can see maybe I had the right idea but that was about it... this shows me where that idea taken to its best destination would go..... nice.. very nice...

Arthur Morris
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I like this bold crop ,, sharp details and texture..bw.minimal image

Hi Pat. Glad that you liked. This is the full frame.

after a few weeks on this site Im only begining to understand the subtlties of whats been done here.... .

I am not sure what you are referring to, but it seems as if you are happy with what's going on here. Please expound. (We love feedback both positive and negative.)

later and love,

artie

Micah Shadle
02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
HI Artie,

I'm Micah, Blake's wife. I just wanted to let you know I really like this photo. I'm a fan of bird's feet. Just wanted to let you know and to say hi and also that I look forward to meeting you in person soon!

Arthur Morris
02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Micah, Thanks! I look forward to meeting you soon. You sure picked a nice, cute guy! <smile>

later and love, artie

Gus Cobos
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Very nice Arthur,
I like the composition, and the colors that blend in nicely...:D