PDA

View Full Version : First Sign Of Spring

Mike Moats
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
This is the first stage of the Skunk Cabbage plant, grows in swamps and starts to appear in February. They have built in heating systems that allow them to melt threw the ice and snow. Its our first sign of life as we head towards springs. This set is poping up through the ice in the swamp. Not great art work, just a educational thing.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, Natural Light. f/32

denise ippolito
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Mike, It actually has a fall color tone and if you hadn't told me what it was I would have thought fall not spring. I love the ice it's emerging from-has a real Mike Moats look!

Gus Cobos
03-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi Mike,
This is beautiful...I have never seen one of these...I like the colors and the textures, well placed in frame, and I like the depth of field, and the play between the shadows and the lighter areas...good show...:cool:

ChasMcRae
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Read about them all my life but have never seen one.
This is a great pic of one with nice colors. Don't remember any brighter pics of one.
Wonder how it would have looked with camera flat on the ground or close to it.
Bet the photographer would be wet and cold.
Chas.

Julie Kenward
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I remember some of your skunk cabbage images last year and can't wait to see more of them this year. I'm really hoping to get to Michigan this year to visit a good friend of mine and am certainly going to put skunk cabbage on my list of things to see!

Anita Bower
03-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Mike: Did you take this photo this year? The skunk cabbages here are just poking up their little green shoots.

Mike Moats
03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey Anita, I shot ths last year, I haven't been out to the swamp yet this year, but they should be this size by now. Hope to get out there this week to check them out.