PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane from Joe Overstreet

Grady Weed
03-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I am not too crazy about the background here, but that is all I saw while in Florida. These cranes were everywhere in the pastures. I found this one in the sweet light first thing while driving down Joe Overstreet to the boat landing on Lake Kissimmee. That place is one nice morning shoot for Sandhill Cranes, Egrets, Kingfishers, Eagles, Logger Head Shrikes and all other kinds of interesting creatures. To me it is a must do while in Florida.

A very cooperative bird. I imaged it from only 15 feet away. I regret we had a very limited time to go to this site due to having to leave by 9 am for Daytona to see a family member in the hospital.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 2/12/2009 06:44:38, Shutter Speed 1/500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F6.3, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation: +1/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM. Hand held while leaning against the split fence. 1 of 8 frames, I kept 2.

Nate Chappell
03-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Beautiful lighting and I like the feeding pose here Grady, I'd prefer to have a little more room on the right.

Chris van Rooyen
03-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi Grady

Beautiful light and nice posture!. In an ideal world, this may have been better if you could have lowered your perspective, this would have blurred the background more and given a more intimate feel. I suspect you have worked from a car window, which makes it very difficult to get low.

Joe Senzatimore
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
More room on the right is a valid comment as is the need for a lower angle. That said , it is still a fine image with great light and color.

Grady Weed
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
How about htis crop for more room on the right. Can't do anything for the lower angle. :) Next version of Photoshop maybe. ;)