PDA

View Full Version : Mine, All Mine - Maribou Stork with Dinner

John Lowin
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Image shot along the Mara River, Kenya. Hundreds of Wildebeest lost their lives crossing the river during a flood. That massive kill attracted thousands of Vultures of numerous species and Maribou Storks. The odor was so overpowering that our eves actually watered. We photographed from a bridge over the river, and as soon as we were done we left rapidly. The scene was like a war zone. This is an old slide scan, so no detailed exposure information exists. I hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. Thanks for looking. - John

Nikon N90S
Nikkor 500mm f/4 P (Manual Focus)
Kodak E100 VS

Randy Stout
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
John:

A remarkable natural history image. The composition is effective, tells most of the story, without words. Can't get much better than that.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Randy

Fabs Forns
03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
A little too tight for my tastes, John, and not crazy about the light either. Of course, it is a remarkable documentary, with great impact,

Daniel Cadieux
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
A couple of summers ago I photographed, upwind, a vulture feeding on a single raccoon carcass and to this day I can still TASTE the stench that was emitting from that scene whenever I look back on those images...I can only imagine what you went through here!! Artistically I agree with Fabs, and I also agree with Randy about the image effectively telling the story.

John Lowin
03-06-2009, 12:39 AM
A couple of summers ago I photographed, upwind, a vulture feeding on a single raccoon carcass and to this day I can still TASTE the stench that was emitting from that scene whenever I look back on those images...I can only imagine what you went through here!! Artistically I agree with Fabs, and I also agree with Randy about the image effectively telling the story.

Daniel, This is looking in a little bay of the river. I can almost smell it. - John

Joe Senzatimore
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Both very powerful images indeed. Nature at it's best or worse. I am with Fabs on the comments of the first image. And yes it is a great natural history image.