PDA

View Full Version : Arches

Michael Pancier
03-05-2009, 09:23 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3411/3327790005_94c81db64d_o.jpg

I know it's a cliche shot, but I had to do it as I've never been here. I didn't get clouds or snow, so I decided to try a pano stitch.

I kept the shadow of some folks on the right to give some scale. Being here in person the view is amazing. I don't think any photo can really show the grandeur of this arch window.

Should I brighten up the left side a bit? Seems the lighting is a bit flat here, even at sunrise. Suggestions?

5d mark ii
24-105L @ 28mm
3 image stitch
f/14
ISO 100

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Great shot but on my screen it seems flat and needs a little pop but heck I'm just a rookie. Thanks for sharing this great photo Michael

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Hey Michael,
You were faced with the same delimma when we all stand there.....do I include the sky above the arch or not....I'm not lovin' the silhouettes on the right.....very tight to the frame and for me....they don't add to the image. I would definitely lighten the left shadow area a touch more and I'm still debating the sky....as I have the same version......and on others I went tighter. My preference is for removal of the left side.....we'll see what others chime in. Agree with the more pop too!
BTW....did you take a fisheye here??? that may have been wild.

Michael Pancier
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Michael,
You were faced with the same delimma when we all stand there.....do I include the sky above the arch or not....I'm not lovin' the silhouettes on the right.....very tight to the frame and for me....they don't add to the image. I would definitely lighten the left shadow area a touch more and I'm still debating the sky....as I have the same version......and on others I went tighter. My preference is for removal of the left side.....we'll see what others chime in. Agree with the more pop too!
BTW....did you take a fisheye here??? that may have been wild.

this is the one shot I don't think I used a fisheye. I'm still going through pics, ....I think cause the detail in turret arch would probably be lost at 15mm....

I have other tight shots here and I also did a vertical stitch that I haven't processed.....

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree on brightening up the left and cropping the shadow on the right out (looks like I see someone's silhouette in the right shadow).

Did you try any local contrast enhancement.

David Kennedy
03-15-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm late to the show--grad school is trying to eat me alive, and I'm not making images that are really befitting of BPN at the moment (although some of the studio stuff is fun...)

Any ways, just curious if the park service has finally made a permanent template, either metal or concrete, for photographers to place their tripod? :D

The image does seem to need a boost to the local contrast, and a touch more vibrance wouldn't hurt.

Michael Pancier
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm late to the show--grad school is trying to eat me alive, and I'm not making images that are really befitting of BPN at the moment (although some of the studio stuff is fun...)

Any ways, just curious if the park service has finally made a permanent template, either metal or concrete, for photographers to place their tripod? :D

The image does seem to need a boost to the local contrast, and a touch more vibrance wouldn't hurt.

nope .... just sandstone....;)