PDA

View Full Version : Missing a Piece

Christopher Miller
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/P3030248ResizeWeb.jpg

Yesterday I took some more shots of the side of our barn. This is same section of missing strapping as in the last shot I posted. Hopefully in this one it's a stronger focal point. BTW I discovered the "strapping" is actually remnants of old tar paper that used to cover the barn.
Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.2 @ 1/250, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Program mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, selective color, channel mixer, and applied an overlay layer to the line of tar paper

denise ippolito
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Christopher, The crop is nice, I think all the lines going in diff. directions seems busy to me for a small area(maybe if the boards were straight it wouldn't feel so busy) Others may feel differently, so remember it's what's pleasing to you! Have you tried shooting upward from the ground at a close distance? Wonder what that would look like? Anyway I think your experiment with these boards has been very interesting and I look forward to your next one.

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Christopher,
Tar paper hold down???....kind of takes the romance away! I'm going with Denise on this as far as the angle....for some reason....seems off to me too. I'm glad you are exploring other angles and vantage points though.....and re-visiting locations and seeing things again is always a good thing!

Christopher Miller
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. The more I look at this, the more I think you're right about the angle. Guess I'll just have to do some more experimenting! Denise, thanks for the suggestion of shooting upward; I'll have to try that.

Julie Kenward
03-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Christopher I was just looking at this and it reminded me of some images I took of leaves tangled in my chain link fence. Try standing about 3-5 feet down the line from where the tar strap would be and get your body right against the side of the barn and aim your lens straight down the side so the tar line is in focus and then everything else drops off into the background. I bet you'd get a really neat angle that way.

Christopher Miller
03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Julie. Not sure how easy it would be for me to do because these boards are rather high up on the side of the barn, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!